My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manual? Directions? John Deere 112 Model T0011 early 1970s
Serial # 26371511

I am a wife home alone while hubby is gone to Alaska (long story) and my neighbors and I are trying to figure out why this baby won't run. I have an acre yard, sigh. John Deere 112 Model T0011 early 1970s. This is a machine he bought from a shop teacher who rehabs old machines, have owned it for 4 years but it's HIS baby, not mine. Honestly, I've run it so seldom that I have no motor memory (pun intended) for using it.

It was running badly before he left. He gave me a quickie tutorial but neglected to give me the magic words. Since then, I ran it for a few minutes, turned it off to adjust myself and reread the (few indistinct decal) directions, and it hasn't run since. There is a likelihood that I did something really dumb during that time, but not sure.

We got a new battery. (That's a whole nutty story in itself. There are a lot of clerks out there that think that this JDeere is so precious that it should be left to our children in our will.)

The thing started but won't pay attention to a gear shift. It just sits.

One neighbor thinks it's a belt in wrong place. One thinks its a solenoid problem. Can't recall all the other theories. There may be nothing wrong except the operators, but not sure. These guys are now making plans to tow it to one of their garages and do surgery.

Depending on the kindness of strangers here, I would appreciate from a knowledgeable poster a patient, complete run-through in layman terms as to how this tractor is supposed to be started and run.

Would also appreciate corresponding with anyone who has the original owner's manual for it. -- I'll pay for copies and postage.

Meanwhile, the hot weather and intermittent storms in Minnesota has caused my grass to grow insanely. I think a grazing animal may be able to do more for the lawn than this tractor.

Linda from St. Paul, Minnesota

·
Registered
183 Posts
If it will run but doesn't want to move check the variable speed lever on the right side,,, it's the short lever. Try moving it forward,,, my early 70's 112 doesn't like the lever all the way back. I'm sure it's simply an adjustment to the variator but I don't use it enough to warrant the fix.
Does it grind gears or anything when you put it in gear ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, guys, let's start over. Yes, it starts and no it doesn't move even when shifted. Perhaps there is something simple that I am not doing.

What is the sequence that I may be messing up? Assume I am a blithering idiot. You will begin by saying, "put in the key" and end with "it moves and starts cutting."

Please include also a description of the item being manipulated ("the round knob on the right below your knees" and etc). Assume I don't know the name of any part and know nothing about engines.

I don't mean to sound testy. Am very grateful for all posts. Thanks to all.

--L.

·
-
1,833 Posts
Hi Linda,

1. OK, with the tractor off, push in the clutch and move the gear selector to neutral. You can tell it's in neutral when you can move the gear shifter up and down between the lower position in the shift plate (marked 3rd & 4th) and up to the location in the shift plate that's marked R - 2 - 1st. Also you'll be able to push the tractor and it will move it if's in neutral/out of gear.

Diagram of the shift plate when you're sitting on the tractor is below (the |'s indicate the neutral area of the shift plate):
3 - | - 4
R - | - 2 - 1 (you have to flip up the little plate to get to 1st)

When in neutral you can move the shift lever up and down in the area indicated by the |'s.

Once in neutral you can start the tractor.

So once the tractor is running you should be able to push down the clutch pedal (left hand side of tractor) and then put it in gear. It is normal that you may have to let the clutch out a little to get it to go into gear. The tractor has square cut gears and does not have a synchro like in a car's transaxle - so the gears in the transaxle must line up to mesh into gear.

2. Hold the clutch in with your left foot and try to shift the lever into 2nd. If it feels like it doesn't want to move over into second, hold the gear lever over towards second and let the clutch out a little. It should turn the gears a bit and allow them to mesh up, and the lever will move over into the position for 2nd. Once it's in second slowly let out the clutch and it should begin to move.

Note: Once you're up and running, you need to come to a complete stop before changing gear or it will grind and cause damage to the gear teeth/transaxle.

·
I color outside the lines
2,159 Posts
There is a belt that runs from the right side of motor back to a large pulley on the rear axle assembly. That belt should be turning all the time. If you look under back of tractor you should see the pulley spinning with the tractor in neutral.

That is step #1. If it is spinning and you shift it into the various gears and it doesnt move then the transaxle has issues.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
35,925 Posts
BTW Luke, it's something we all do when we start on the forum and occasionally I still resurrect an old thread. You will get teased for doing it though, so be prepared!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts