My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Delivery was smooth, early and flawless. Delivery guy gave a good demonstration and was very helpful. The deck was set as prescribed. Tires were slightly overinflated, so I adjusted them.
I then took the newbie out for a spin around an overgrown lawn.
Instant likes and dislikes:
Like: the cut. Terrific, smooth, level. Much improvement over my 28-year old Cub Cadet.
Like: turn radius. Amazingly tight. Night and day compared with the Cub.
Like: foot-pedal hydrostatic transmission. Coming from an arm-type hydro on the old Cub, this system is much easier to use.
Like: Ease of start. No problems there(yet).

Dislike: overall, general feeling that this machine isn't as well built as the Cub. Probably should have expected it.
Dislike: no instrument dials. Just used to them, I guess.
Dislike: The 7 cut height settings. I'm used to the set-it-wherever-you-want on the Cub. I can get used to this.
Dislike: backfires every time the engine stops. Why is this?

Overall, very happy with it but I do want to get rid of the backfires.
Yes, pictures on the way.

·
Registered
21 Posts
swami7774,
Congrats on your new mower. Idle down your mower before you turn it off and it won't backfire on you.

Housten

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Delivery was smooth, early and flawless. Delivery guy gave a good demonstration and was very helpful. The deck was set as prescribed. Tires were slightly overinflated, so I adjusted them.
I then took the newbie out for a spin around an overgrown lawn.
Instant likes and dislikes:
Like: the cut. Terrific, smooth, level. Much improvement over my 28-year old Cub Cadet.
Like: turn radius. Amazingly tight. Night and day compared with the Cub.
Like: foot-pedal hydrostatic transmission. Coming from an arm-type hydro on the old Cub, this system is much easier to use.
Like: Ease of start. No problems there(yet).

Dislike: overall, general feeling that this machine isn't as well built as the Cub. Probably should have expected it.
Dislike: no instrument dials. Just used to them, I guess.
Dislike: The 7 cut height settings. I'm used to the set-it-wherever-you-want on the Cub. I can get used to this.
Dislike: backfires every time the engine stops. Why is this?

Overall, very happy with it but I do want to get rid of the backfires.
Yes, pictures on the way.
Do you throttle it down for a min or so before you shut it down ??

·
Registered
660 Posts
My Brings will back fire once in a while if I forget to turn town the throuttle and let it idle for a while before I turn it off.

The mowing height is the pits. My YS4500 has the smaller tires and I can nout use my lower 3 settings. You have even smaller tires than mine I think. That would make it harder to adjust the height. It sucks. You can only get em so small. I am going to put 20 inch tires on my rear end when I find some good used ones. The 4500's come with 2 size tires. The larger decks and larger engines have the larger tires. Mine has a 20 hp engine.

They have so many models it drives me nuts. They only need 2 models a YS with large tires and 3 size decks with a good 20 hp engine and a GT6500 series with 3 size decks and attachements. Everthing else they can get rid of. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
1,723 Posts
When I had a Briggs Intek 24 HP in my YS4500, I had to throttle down before shutting off the engine or it would back-fire. I now have a Kohler Command Pro 22 HP in my WH and I have to keep that at full throttle prior to shutting it down or it will most definately back-fire.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have so many models it drives me nuts. They only need 2 models a YS with large tires and 3 size decks with a good 20 hp engine and a GT6500 series with 3 size decks and attachements. Everthing else they can get rid of. Just my opinion.
You're right about that. I was driving myself crazy trying to decide among 3 models before choosing the 3000.

·
Registered
301 Posts
When I had a Briggs Intek 24 HP in my YS4500, I had to throttle down before shutting off the engine or it would back-fire. I now have a Kohler Command Pro 22 HP in my WH and I have to keep that at full throttle prior to shutting it down or it will most definately back-fire.
It is interesting, in the Kohler Courage manual they recommend starting at mid throttle and also shutting down at mid throttle. I start at mid throttle and shut down at idle with no backfires.

Chris

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is interesting, in the Kohler Courage manual they recommend starting at mid throttle and also shutting down at mid throttle. I start at mid throttle and shut down at idle with no backfires.

Chris
Hmm. The delivery guys told me to start at full throttle.
I'll figure it out via trial and error.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I start my Kohler at idle and shut it down at idle. I never shut it off immediately after it's been working hard, I let it cool at idle or low throttle for at least a couple of minutes. I've never had a backfire with this engine.

Starting at full throttle would seem to be really hard on an engine that hasn't had a chance to circulate oil.

When I start mine in cold weather, I use the choke like a throttle to get it running. Full choke to start and as soon as it fires, choke off. If it starts to die I give it another shot of partial choke and then immediately off again. I let it run for a bit until it idles evenly and then engage the transmission and let that warm up for a bit.

·
Has anyone seen ChimChim?
6,553 Posts
I start my Kohler at idle and shut it down at idle. I never shut it off immediately after it's been working hard, I let it cool at idle or low throttle for at least a couple of minutes. I've never had a backfire with this engine.

Starting at full throttle would seem to be really hard on an engine that hasn't had a chance to circulate oil.

When I start mine in cold weather, I use the choke like a throttle to get it running. Full choke to start and as soon as it fires, choke off. If it starts to die I give it another shot of partial choke and then immediately off again. I let it run for a bit until it idles evenly and then engage the transmission and let that warm up for a bit.

Same here...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts