My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing rear tires on my honda 3813 got one side off the other side will not come off , stuck on axle any ideal?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Any type of penetrating sprays, PB Blaster, WD 40, etc.... Then use a rubber mallet on the tire rotating the rim 180 degrees at a time. It should come off.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
mine had been on 18-19 years when i went to remove and had the same problem. The rubber mallet is the first way i'd go but if that fails, (mine were frozen) i kept applying my own mix of rust loosening oil -
i use a mix of ATF oil with acetone or mek (maybe 25%) of the solvent to oil. Only reason i like it, a) it's cheaper than the aerosols, and b) i can thin it as much as i want to let it flow into whatever tight fit places

i'd apply as many times as possible, then i used a gear puller - let the claws into that semi-round channel running around the hub, just a bit in from the axle nut - i held the claws into that channel with some 1/8" aircraft cable wrapped thru the spare holes of the claws and pulled em tight, and pinched the ends to one of the claws with vise grips

and used that to pull em off - if they don't come, apply some more oil and let sit for couple hours and do it again. Some items, like the bearings in a blade spindle housing, took me 3-4 days of multiple applications of thinned oil every chance i got

once off, you might want to put a coating of synthetic grease on the axle splines to help prevent them from refreezing to the hubs

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks dmac 601 got the wheel off had wd40 on it just was not hitting it on back had gone brain dead thanks again

1 - 4 of 4 Posts