My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All
Has anyone replaced the Mesh Bag's on their Powerflo collection System ?
I have a 1986 318 w/ 50"deck and the Powerflo Bagging system, both bag's have large holes in them and I bought 2 new Mesh Bags.
I drilled off the "hoop" Frames from the Support brackets and thought you would just "Slide" the Old bag's off and new ones on like Hanging Curtains with "The Wife" - Not so for me.
I feel I can cut the old ones off but do not feel I would be able to install the new ones and then I'm screwed with my Tractor as my Son mows a few lawns and needs to pick up the grass.

I looked thru the Forums and on YouTube for something and do not see any help.
Thanks
Timmy from Trumbull, CT

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Tim - they actually do just slide on. I did this about 4 years ago and looked at it a couple of times before I just tried it. The ones I got at least had a sheet of paper in them with instructions?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi IA-Green
Should I just Cut the Old ones off ?
They are so tight, they just won't slide around the "hoop". Like they shrunk or something.
I'm going out to the Garage to see if I can work them off.
Thanks
Timmy from Trumbull, CT

·
Diesels are awesome!
4,449 Posts
The bags on my bagger (same age) are almost perfect. I thought the whole metal frame stuck with the bag when it needed to be trashed because it doesn't look as if you could get it on and off without cutting them off. I will remember that when my bags go bad.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
I guess I am not sure what the issue with the old bags is? You have new bags to put on and the old bags are shot - cut them off - tear them off - burn them off...until they are gone the new ones are useless...

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had to do mine last year, as the previous owner of my 445 left the whole bagger setup outside. They do "just" slide off, but it's easier said than done. I wrestled with them for quite a while. I seem to remember needing two people at one point. I wish J.D. would just sell the whole thing already on frames. It'd be worth the money.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yep, when you order them the frame comes seperate from the bag. I just priced them out at my dealer tuesday and said around 30 for each frame and 50 for each bag. I've been debating about getting the powerflow I have working, but I would need to get bags and double pulley.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi All
For an update, I finally went for it and Removed the old Bag from the Frame, like I said before, I did not want to Ruin the old bag where my Son had lawns to Mow and they would work for now, just drop a little trail of grass until the Bags filled up above the "holes".
My other Issue was I bought "replacement Bags" off eBay last year - my bad, they were different at the Top where the Cutouts for the Frame/ hoop Supports were compared to the old bags (they were in the Middle of the forward/ Solid part of the Bag) , so I took 1 old bag to my local JD Dealer, $128.00 later, I'm driving home with 2 new bags, P/N AM101602 for our 1986 318 w/ 50" Deck & Powerflow System.
Took my Son and I with the frame support bracket in the vise and us tugging and pulling the old one off - The New bags still were a bit difficult to "slide on" but easier to put on than take off.
Look great and work fine.
Thanks for all your input !
Timmy from Trumbull, CT

1 - 8 of 8 Posts