My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
New Guy...
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm about to put a JD75 loader on my JD950. I've replaced all the hoses and rehabbed the cylinders. Since the hydraulic fluid in the tractor is of unknown origin, I figure this will be a good opportunity to drain it out and replace with JD low viscosity hyd fluid.

Draining the reservoir is the easy part. How aggresive should I be in draining everything else (and how would I do that)? The fluid in there now appears to be in good condition (not discolored or cloudy), and the 3-point hydraulics work fine - even during the Maine winter.

I have an I&T Service Manual on the way, so if the answer is in there, I'll be a happy boy... But it would still be nice to hear from the real world.

Thanks for your comments!

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Lower your bucket and retract all of your cylinders. Also lower your 3pt, this should get as much of the oil out as possible. There is really no way to get it all out, but this should help get the bulk of it out. Good luck.

·
New Guy...
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave! The FEL lines & cylinders will be empty when I mount it. And it looks like I can also unhook the pressure & return lines to/from the pump at the front and drain them. That JD low viscosity fluid is just too danged expensive to flush the system with!

Mark

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
As Dave said I would just lower the loader and 3 pt to it's lowest possible point and drain the reservoir. If the fluid in the tractor already looks pretty good then that's another reason I wouldn't worry about trying to disconnect lines and such. You'll be perfectly fine with just draining the reservoir.

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
I agree with both posts. I have the 950 with 75 loader as well and have done nothing special to it either. Since the cylinders are/will be empty upon reassembly, that is most of your battle won. You idea of unhooking the pressure and return lines from the pump to drain them is a good one, just be careful not to lose the gasket/o-ring at the pump. It shouldn't spring out on you or anything, just keep an eye on it.

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
No problem, but as the others said there is really no reason to go to the extent you're considering. Also don't forget if you go that route there will be a bit more air to get out. Not saying it won't bleed out easily, it might just tale a bit longer to get it to cycle out. Plus I personally wouldn't drain the pump if the oil is in good condition with no water in it.

·
New Guy...
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent! Thanks for the feedback everyone. It'll be another week or so before I can start in on it - trying to finish up various projects before the cold weather sets in...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts