My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Broadmoor 16 Hydro lawn tractor and I need to replace those useless factory headlights. So I'm coming to you folks for some help please.

When I purchased the tractor I had the dealer stick on a utility lamp on the rear (a Signal Stat 620, 12.8 v, 2.93 amp). Now I'm wondering if I can replace the existing factory headlights two, Grote 64931 12 V - 2.7 AMP lamps?

The existing factory headlights are two wire set up. The existing light on the rear is a one wire set up and the two new lights are also one wire.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SS

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
The second wire is just for a ground. You can add one to the new lights easily enough. You need the ground to complete the circuit for the lamps. The new lights are counting on being grounded through the metal that they would be attached to. You just need to run a wire from the body of the new light to a good ground on your machine, preferably at the battery itself, but a good spot on the frame will do, also.

·
Denis
38 Posts
Larry, those look like exactly what I need for my 3414S, but I'm limited to 100W max. What are yours, and do you know where they're available? Thanks.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Larry, those look like exactly what I need for my 3414S, but I'm limited to 100W max. What are yours, and do you know where they're available? Thanks.
They are Signal-Stat 620 utility lights. I got them on sale at Sanels Parts Plus Auto on sale for $6/piece in 02.

They used to trip the original curcuit breaker so I replaced it with a 30 amp inline fuse, and added a second for my winch at the same time.

The 3400's charging system is rated for 15 amps continuous or 180 watts, so no problem there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yep larry, but if you work it like that all the time it does not disapate the heat well, you will cook something. Nice thing is most only use the lights at night and its winter snowthrowing so it is a little cooler!

·
Denis
38 Posts
Mine has to run directly off the AC alternator that puts out only 5 Amps max, so I'm really limited in the load I can place on it. Also, the lights would have to be side mounted on the hood, so the bulb/lens would have to be rotated 90 degrees to throw the right pattern. Any suggestions?

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
Can you run it off the battery? Does your main alternator put out enough current?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Yep larry, but if you work it like that all the time it does not disapate the heat well, you will cook something. Nice thing is most only use the lights at night and its winter snowthrowing so it is a little cooler!
I have an infrared thermometer, and the hottest spot is always the back bearing (right next to the exhaust) at 190 degrees lights or not. The lights are 120 watts, the generator is rated at 180 watts continuous AND these are overbuilt. The regulator prevents overloading, nothing is going to cook.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Mine has to run directly off the AC alternator that puts out only 5 Amps max, so I'm really limited in the load I can place on it. Also, the lights would have to be side mounted on the hood, so the bulb/lens would have to be rotated 90 degrees to throw the right pattern. Any suggestions?
All of the Signal Stat lights I've seen have notches in the housing that allow you to rotate the bulb 90 degrees right or left. I've been meaning to make some wedges to level the lights perfectly, but it's been 8 years...

Attachments

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I was going with 3 lites on the machine x 55 each are 165 watts. With 180 watt capacity an extra 40 watts is a big deal. Thankfully you have a 15 amp system. Some only have a 3amp system! I heard you can turn up the output too but there the heat gets to it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I was going with 3 lites on the machine x 55 each are 165 watts. With 180 watt capacity an extra 40 watts is a big deal. Thankfully you have a 15 amp system. Some only have a 3amp system! I heard you can turn up the output too but there the heat gets to it.
The delco s/g's can put out a LOT more than 15 amps if you screw with the regulators, NOT a good idea. A lot of the delco s/g's on old cubs and simpliciity's are 5 amp. I only run 2 lights at time, dont know what to say to Coldr with his 5 amp setup, know nothing about it. LED's probably the way to go. Wont get them for $10 though

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Yep, 5 buck leds are not going to happen. I looked at grote trilliant lights, way brighter and less then 3 amp draw per light but wow, are they expensive! Give it time they may come down...

·
Denis
38 Posts
My 16 HP Briggs has a dual circuit alternator, 5 amps AC just for lights, and 3 amps DC (unregulated) to charge a small (255 CCA) battery. So no, unfortunately, I can't run anything off the battery. The Briggs Repair Manual says 100W max for the lights.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
You could run it off the battery, you would just need to shut the lights off and run the tractor for a little while before you shut it off.

·
4K Poster!!!
4,503 Posts
You could run it off the battery, you would just need to shut the lights off and run the tractor for a little while before you shut it off.
True, and perhaps put it on a trickle charger when you park it. I've seen threads here that mention doing just that. You don't need the battery for ignition, so if it gets low while you're using it, you won't get stuck, at least. You also won't be able to use the starter until you charge the battery, either...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts