My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After threatening for several years to do it, last week I finally bit the bullet and bought and replaced all 4 belts on my 2002 Yard Machine. $147.00 for 4 belts? I know I'm a cheap bugger, but good grief, that seems pricey.:crybaby:
Anyway, the only belt that was in bad shape was the lower drive belt. And it was a mess. The upper drive belt looked just fine, as did the two belts for the mower deck. I changed them all out just the same. The lower drive belt is a major pain to do, but doable just the same.
So just curious. Do any of you change belts as part of a regular maint. practice? Or just do it as needed. And if you do it just as a matter of practice, how frequently?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Fringe Cut wrote: "So just curious. Do any of you change belts as part of a regular maint. practice"

I change the mower deck belt when it can't pull a moderate cutting load any more. I set this belt tighter than normal because I was using my tractor for bush hogging 2-foot high weeds for a while. I would add Belt Conditioner for an even tighter grip. It's kinda awesome to see what 20hp can do when it gets a good linkage to the blades.

On the transmisison belts, I inspect them about every 15 hours, looking for frayed or cracked belt surfaces. If you see fraying or cracking, you can figure it's time to order the new belts and get ready to change them at the next maintenance period.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts