My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Keeper of the Gravelyard
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:1106:http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/smilies/1106.gif
Replaced the belts on my "40" mower yesterday. Love working on my Gravely's, hate having to replace belts on mower. Words were said that shouldn't be said on SUN or any other day for that matter. What a pain trying to install the springs from the idlers wheels to the side plate.. Has to be a better way to do it!!! Can any body tell me how they replace their belts on the Comm "40" mower?
Dallass in LA

·
Registered
334 Posts
I know those idlers are tough. With new belts those springs need extra force to get them back into the hole. I used a pair of automotive brake spring pliers with the little hook and that worked well. Check out this manual if you haven't already:

http://www.oldgravelys.net/pdf/40_Inch_Commercial_Mower_Op_Man_0574.pdf

Go to page 5. It's pretty clear what the steps are there. I made sure that the springs were laid out carefully so I could reach them once the gear box was in place on top. Then it was just hard pulling til the springs met the holes. You could also try a different hole for less tension. I think there are three. Good luck!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I know those idlers are tough. With new belts those springs need extra force to get them back into the hole. I used a pair of automotive brake spring pliers with the little hook and that worked well.
Replaced the belts on my 40" mower yesterday, and have the chewed up knuckles as evidence. Re: Spring Puller ... Heartily endorse having one on hand prior to starting the job. I tried to "make do" with a cheap Craftsman "J" hook pick. It snapped 3 times, ruining a spring in the process. This is what I settled on ...

Attachments

·
I Love All Color Tractors
22,321 Posts
Good tip on the spring puller. I'll have to keep my eyes open for one of those.

·
Registered
277 Posts
The biggest probelm I had was getting the right deck belt and drive belt for my 1238.

I bet I went to the parts store a dozen times to get the right ones.

That spring puller sure sould be handy. I'd say it's alot handier than pliers.

Matt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts