My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, first post. My dad has a 455 that the parking brake is out on. He just upgraded to a 2210, but needs to get this brake fixed prior to selling the 455. Anyway, he'd like me to tear into it and see if I can do it. I have done a lot of mechanic work on cars, but basically learned everything from trial and error. Anyway, can anyone let me know what I'm getting into on this? Is this something that someone with shadetree mechanic skills should tackle? Any helpful hints/past posts with pictures that might get me started in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

·
JD RULES
1,026 Posts
Hello all, first post. My dad has a 455 that the parking brake is out on. He just upgraded to a 2210, but needs to get this brake fixed prior to selling the 455. Anyway, he'd like me to tear into it and see if I can do it. I have done a lot of mechanic work on cars, but basically learned everything from trial and error. Anyway, can anyone let me know what I'm getting into on this? Is this something that someone with shadetree mechanic skills should tackle? Any helpful hints/past posts with pictures that might get me started in the right direction?
Thanks in advance.
First off :Welcome1: , I don't have your answer , but I used to own a JD 445 , same exept for the engine , just curious , when you say the parking brake is out , what is the symptoms ???

Later,x595

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

It might be a good idea to go to jdparts.com and find the IPB for the braking system. This would give you a good idea of how the system works, and being otherwise mechanically adept, you will probably figure it out.

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
Husker,

Welcome to the forum! :Welcome1: Can you describe this a little better? Is it the brake itself, or the linkage?

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
:Welcome1: and enjoy the forum. Good luck with the replacement. slkpk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the greetings everyone!

My dad actually purchased the pdf of the repair manual, so I have that and I think I will probably be able to tackle the job, hope so anyway.

Basically, the brake doesn't engage at all. You can push the peddle down and lock the parking brake and if on a hill, it'll roll and if you push the gas peddle, there is zero resistance. Also, you can push the brake down and the gas at the same time with no resistance at all. He adjusted the linkage, but it didn't change a thing. The local JD dealer quoted him $1200 when he took it in, mostly labor. So, instead of doing that, he bought a 2210 instead :ROF He's on 10 acres of nothing but hills and I told him when he bought the 455 he'd be sorry he didn't get 4wd, but kids never know anything :duh: Anyway, thanks for the welcome and any tips would be awesome.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts