My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Tuff Torq T 40 transaxle in my little JD LA110. It was pretty tired so I went through it last year and replaced the pump and motor and changed to the 5w50 sythhetic like Tuff Torq recommended. It worked like a champ for the last two seaons. Well, now it seems to be starting to slow down a little, so since the rest of the mower is in great shape I want to try another transaxle. Are there any other choices that would be a little more robust? I found a brand new K46 on ebay for $325.00, its out of a unit that was damaged during shipping. It looks physically the same, will it bolt right in? And is this a better transaxle? One more question, has anybody tried using hydraulic fliud in place of synthetic engine oil in their transaxles?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
How much did it cost you for the pump and motor?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
$120.00 if I remember correctly. I dont mind doing it again I just dont want to go through it every two mowing seasons. Would running hydraulic oil in it be a bad idea?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
$120.00 if I remember correctly. I dont mind doing it again I just dont want to go through it every two mowing seasons. Would running hydraulic oil in it be a bad idea?
I think only using the recommended oil would be best. At that price it may be best to just do it every few years. Should get about 6 years for the same money. What is the terrain like that you are mowing? Sloped, hilly?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its fairly hilly and I mow two acres. I know its a little much for this mower but I originally bought this mower when I had a smaller intown lot. Now that I'm out in the country I know that I need to upgrade to a better mower but I need to get 2 or 3 more years out of this one before I can afford it. When I had it apart I drilled and tapped the upper and lower cases for fill and drain plugs so I could change the oil easily every season. Is it better on these to go wide open up the hills or take it easier like half speed? Also I may try a new belt before I condem the transaxle first, it has 260 hours on the belt now, the reason I havent changed it yet is because money is still somewhat tight, so unless it completely broke I wasn't going to change it. The belt doesn't look very bad but maybe it could be stretched?

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Given that it is hilly, I would say that you should change the pump and motor to hopefully get another couple of years out of it. This way you can use the difference towards an upgrade. I believe they should be run at WOT any time you have a load on it but I'm not familiar with your model.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I do run the engine wide open anytime I'm working the mower, I was just wondering if I should hold the hydrostatic pedal for the trans all the way down up hill or only go like half speed or so, maybe it will not generate as much heat or is it better to get to the top as fast as possible.

·
Run ahead of the pack
9,968 Posts
Just for the record the T40 a K46 transaxle are basically the same transaxle, you'll get the same result at the end.

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
The T40J & the K46 are not exactly the same the K46 is a Step up from the T40J
The rated torque of each is as follows:
T40 - 130 ft lb.
K46 - 171 ft lb.
That said I would still Probably Upgrade Beyond a K46 such as a K51 used in Sabre Lawn tractors with Hydros, K62 used in LX200 series and the 190C or a K66 used in G100 or G110 Tractors:thThumbsU

·
BMW guy with a JD
17 Posts
The T40J & the K46 are not exactly the same the K46 is a Step up from the T40J
The rated torque of each is as follows:
T40 - 130 ft lb.
K46 - 171 ft lb.
That said I would still Probably Upgrade Beyond a K46 such as a K51 used in Sabre Lawn tractors with Hydros, K62 used in LX200 series and the 190C or a K66 used in G100 or G110 Tractors:thThumbsU
Curious, is the K66 a bolt-in / plug-and-play upgrade for a K46 based unit? I have a K46 x304 that groans a little on the hill I subject it to.

·
Former MTF Admin.
25,773 Posts
Just for the record the T40 a K46 transaxle are basically the same transaxle, you'll get the same result at the end.
:ditto: there is not much of difference between the two. I would not waste my time and money moving up to a K46.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
Have you considered putting the money towards a used Deere. I see them all the time on CL for $400-600, usually older, but much more powerful tractors than the LA series. Do your homework and you should be able to get a good running tractor for that money.

·
BMW guy with a JD
17 Posts
Thank you for the link TurtleBoy!

I'm a 'moar-power' guy and will be looking into some form of tranny upgrade :)

·
Super Moderator
16,690 Posts
The K66 was used on the G110 which was Built on the same frame as the L100 series Lawn Tractors There were Just some frame reinforcement on the Rear where the trans Mounted for that Tractor
Reach You X304 is Built on the same frame as a X534 I would even Look at Putting a K72 in You X304 if you wanted to Basically Besides the Trans and the Parts You would need for said Trans You would just Have to Buy the rear Plate from a X534 HITCH PLATE M157816 Or You could just do the K66 route as stladrill

BTW there are 2 Different Variants of the T40 Both made for Deere, 55 different variant's of the K46 out there currently from Tuff-Torq about 5 different variant's of the K58. 16 different variant's of the K66. 3 Different variant's of the K72 and 6 different variants of the K92
Not all Variants are the same and The K46 gets a Very Bad reputation on this Forum Because of some of the Variants Used In the JD L through D100 series There are serviceable K46 Variants meaning Non Sealed The K46 is the Most widely used Transmission in the world From Tuff-Torq:thThumbsU

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Thank you for the link TurtleBoy!

I'm a 'moar-power' guy and will be looking into some form of tranny upgrade :)
I hope it helps and good luck with your upgrade. Be sure to take a lot of pics and start a thread. :trink39:

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Happy modding! There are quite a few threads around here on how to upgrade to just about whatever trans you want.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts