My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have two of the early 80's Craftsman II garden tractors.
One has no engine, one has the original Briggs and Stratton L-head engine.

I'm looking for a brand new engine to replace the original with. The trick is, I need it to have a PTO shaft on each end, so I can use my snowblower, and other front end attachments, in addition to powering the back wheels.

None of the harbor freight engines seem to do the trick. B&S has no suggestions.

Anyone have one?

·
Premium Member
5,054 Posts
From what I've seen online (as I haven't had to directly work on a engine like that myself), (almost?) nobody makes small engines like that, but rather, the manufacturer (B&S or Sears/whoever made the tractor), would make something that bolts/screws/connects to that side of the crankshaft, to extend it out then use that as a PTO shaft.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I've seen online (as I haven't had to directly work on a engine like that myself), (almost?) nobody makes small engines like that, but rather, the manufacturer (B&S or Sears/whoever made the tractor), would make something that bolts/screws/connects to that side of the crankshaft, to extend it out then use that as a PTO shaft.
Hmm... I was already hoping to use the electric clutch on that side so....

·
Premium Member
5,054 Posts
...just to be clear, I was referring to the non-pto side of the engine, where they attach a shaft/pulley/whatever to the flywheel/end of the crankshaft/fan mounts, depending on what's convenient and how much power is needed.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have one of those (GT6000) with an 18 HP Kohler horizontal shaft engine.
There is a bracket that bolts to the flywheel that has a shaft which sticks out for the electric clutch to mount on.
Power comes off the rear of the engine toward steering wheel that goes down across a set of pulleys that redirect the belt to the rear axle for motion.
PTO power comes off the front of the engine, flywheel side, down to a pair of pulleys that direct the belt back to the mower deck.

I can take a picture or two tomorrow if you want.
I would give you the engine model number, but unfortunately that tag is MIA.
Also I have a friend that has a bunch of Bolens tractors, that setup is on several of them.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Briggs and Kohler both offer stub shaft kits for applications such as yours, they are easy to install with the engine out.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I told you wrong, I blame CRS.

The flywheel is back toward the operator, and that side drives the rear axle.
Not sure if that adapter can be attached to a regular fly wheel or not, have not had that apart yet.
The clutch for the mower deck is right behind and below the headlights, I could not get a picture without some disassembly.

·
Registered
169 Posts
How did I do this, went from one post with a double picture to two posts with a single picture.
Moderator, please delete this post for me.

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
I don't know about a new engine. The old LT/YT Snappers had engines that might be compatible with your Craftsman. I still have the engine out of a YT16 that I scraped. See picture in post #2.
I see these for sale cheap on Craigslist and Facebook occasionally. The flywheel was set up to bolt the driveshaft to.
Cannon.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I was bored today.
Kohler front drive shaft or Kohler front drive adapter as a search term will bring up several different options from several places.
Then I started looking at flywheels.
Not all of the flywheels are drilled and tapped for the front drive adapter to bolt to.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts