My Tractor Forum banner

Replacement 7-way to 4-way Vehicle to Trailer Wiring Adapter

865 Views 8 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  forkz
I loaned my trailer to a friend last week who brought it back Monday night. I knew I was going to have to have it for mowing mid or late this week. When he parked it, he took the adapter off and gave it to me. I was busy focusing on whether everything else was taken care of and without thinking (obviously) I think I laid it on the rear bumper of the truck to plug back in. Of course I didn’t and drove away later, the adapter to never be seen again (by me). I knew I had to have one so I jumped on the iPad to find one quick. Prices range from under $6 to well well over $20. All looking the same. I settled on one from Amazon (Hopkins Towing Solutions, made in Taiwan) that ordered Wednesday afternoon would be here by Saturday. I was pleasantly surprised when it came today and it works.
Reactions: Brianf and PA318Guy
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Have that one too. Works as intended..👍
I have converted all mine to 7 wire plugs even if only 4 wires are required. Reasoning I no longer need the multiple adaptors and if you don't all ready have a 7 wire plug the trailer is going no where. I have done the same with hitches all but the travel trailer are 2" regardless of trailer size. But yes I have all the adaptors 7 to 6, 7 to 4 flat and 7 to 4 round.
The 6 way is terrible (and I’m assuming it’s the rectangular 6). There are several different schemes of these, very common on 90s and early 2000s pop up campers. Jayco is different than Viking is different from palomino is different from…
Always drove me nuts. Everything should be 7 way.
I have converted all mine to 7 wire plugs even if only 4 wires are required. Reasoning I no longer need the multiple adaptors and if you don't all ready have a 7 wire plug the trailer is going no where. I have done the same with hitches all but the travel trailer are 2" regardless of trailer size. But yes I have all the adaptors 7 to 6, 7 to 4 flat and 7 to 4 round.
Mine is a six round. Not sure any more what it was even for.
Fortunately I only have one trailer to deal with. Well two if I count the fishing boat that hasn’t been out in a loooong time, but even that’s a 4-way flat. I have rented a Uhaul trailer, but I think it had the 7-way.

I could see where it would drive you crazy having that many adapters.
I like these:

You can buy the pigtail for the back to splice in. I just buy the proper trailer wiring kit once for the vehicle and then splice into that so I'm not cutting into the vehicle harness.
Reactions: RussKish
Well I was working in the garage yesterday and cleaned up a couple of things. That’s when I found the original adapter laying under a couple spare ratchet straps I had loaned with the trailer.

Then I saw one, just like the one I bought, with a partial pigtail attached laying by my makeshift work bench. I found it on the road in front of my friend’s house. Forgot I had it.

Now I have two spares. Go figure. 😲 😂 Getting old and not being able to see well is getting OLD!
i know this is old thread but same thing here needed one at the moment went to wallmart this is the only thing they had don,t realy like it but had to have it https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hopkins-Towing-Solutions-7-RV-Blade-to-4-Flat-with-Nite-Glow/25073940
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.