My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
Have any of you tried the Zerk cleaner that uses a snap-on hose with a hammer? It basically a small hydraulic ram the fits over the fitting and then you hit the other end with a hammer and the pressure blasts out any dirt in the old Zerk. I've been tempted to get one but have no idea if they work.

·
1,778 Posts
The problem with that is it just blasts the goop further into the thing.

Better in a pinch to pull the zerk and clean it out with a toothpick/wire/similar and then see if it's good. Ie. spring not broke, ball intact etc.

A big assortment of sizes is readily available from the usual internet skumbags so there's no real reason not to swap 'em out, but sometimes you run across one with an unusual thread pitch or whatever that's worth salvaging or keeping for spare if possible.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
inspectorudy:

Didn't try it, but agree with Kubota Ronin that it'll likely just push that crap further into the joint.

The zerks are cheap, and other than needing tiny fingers to get them started in certain areas, they were really easy to get in!

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
134 Posts

·
Long Time Thread Stalker
134 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
I remove the old zerk, attach it to my grease gun and apply a small amount of heat, then squeeze the grease gun and force out the dried up stuff. Replace as needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts