My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best ?

I picked up a used Murray with 46" deck last week and all three spindles are bad. I have found the spindles which run about $20 each but also found rebuild kits with bearings which togather with upper, lower and the spacer run just a little less (but not much less!).

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
What's the best ?

I picked up a used Murray with 46" deck last week and all three spindles are bad. I have found the spindles which run about $20 each but also found rebuild kits with bearings which togather with upper, lower and the spacer run just a little less (but not much less!).
I can buy the replacement bearings from NAPA for around $10 +/- a little. The spacers are reusable so they shouldn't be needed new. The shafts only need to be replaced if the shaft is bent or the splines for the belt pulley are messed up. So for What you say is a $20 replacement for all new housing and assembled bearings and shafts, I'd go with the new. Most of the time, you will pay in excess of $35, usually closer to $65 for that assembly. So if you can get them for $20, grab them.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Agreed, if you can snag them for $20, go for it. Usually $35 is the cheapest I'll see. Sometimes on Feebay you'll get them cheaper, but if you can't wait that's no good. I'll be picking up a 46" deck this weekend where all the spindles, idler pulleys, blades, belts and guide wheels are bad. Oh yeah, the deck itself is bent. Any offers? lol.

Anyway, welcome to MTF, post a pic if you get a chance................

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Agreed, if you can snag them for $20, go for it. Usually $35 is the cheapest I'll see. Sometimes on Feebay you'll get them cheaper, but if you can't wait that's no good. I'll be picking up a 46" deck this weekend where all the spindles, idler pulleys, blades, belts and guide wheels are bad. Oh yeah, the deck itself is bent. Any offers? lol.

Anyway, welcome to MTF, post a pic if you get a chance................
Yea, but to insure you get some hits, you need to word it like this, " Deck, used, all spindles, pulleys, belts are there. I delivery you! $50, email me. " That'll get them coming out of the wood work!

:fing32:

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Yea, but to insure you get some hits, you need to word it like this, " Deck, used, all spindles, pulleys, belts are there. I delivery you! $50, email me. " That'll get them coming out of the wood work!

:fing32:
That's funny. The old "are there" trick.....lol

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
I got all my spindles from Fleabay last summer for around $20.00 each.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Took the deck apart Friday evening and took what was left of the spindles apart, Hit up my local NAPA for bearings and had no luck so I'm going to just order whole new spindles since one of the spacers is torn up.

On a brighter aspect, found an indentical Murry, same year, model and everything which much to my wife's dismay, I bought for $125 which had a perfect deck and motor which the only thing wrong is the hydro drive is going out and reverse doesn't work. Between the two mowers I was up and mowing Sunday afternoon!

I'm going to fix the other one over the winter and keep the best one and sell the other in the spring including an older 38" Murray that just needs one new spindle.

It's kills me that some people don't understand that you can't leave your rider outside unprotected for 2 or 3 and expect the deck to work.....

·
Registered
533 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
FYI - I found Tulsa Engine Warehouse on the internet that is selling quill assemblies for $13.92 and bearings/spacer kits for &6.70.

Ordered 3 quill's and 1 bearing kit all for $57 shipped, placed order online on the 14th and received them yesterday by UPS on the 16th (they are only one state away from me).

Local small engine parts store locally wanted $32 each for the assemblies and was going to charge me extra for shipping since they were a part they didn't normally stock.

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
My local guy was at $35.00. Went through eBay for $18.45 with shipping. It pays to shop around for sure. Good price on the bearing kit as long as the shipping does not hurt too much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts