My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Alfa Twin Cam Power
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just changed my wireless home network router from a D-Link 524 to a Netgear Rangemax Dual Band Wireless N router. Mostly to accomodate the wife's Apple I-Pad and Netflix. I have the new router mounted high and in the middle of the house. It works great throughout the house even when the grandkids come over and light up all of their wireless devices and Netflix is streaming on 2 TV's.

Here is my problem; I have no connection in the garage. The garage is located about 70 feet away from the router & about 40 feet from the back of the house. The house construction has thick walls with 1 1/2" of sheething & sheetrock on each side of the interior & exterior walls, with foil backed insulation and a brick exterior. To get a signal with the D-Link I had to use an 18" tall antenna at both the router and the garage computer and at that the signal was poor.

Unfortunately the Netgear has no provision for an exterior antenna.

I would like to leave the Netgear where it is now and put a repeater of some kind in the back window of the house that is closest to the garage. I have no problem with dropping a Cat5 wire the the repeater.

My question is that what do I need? I have read until I am now totally confused about what to get and how to connect the new equipment.

I don't need a N signal in the garage since the laptop that I use has a G adaptor, however I don't mind getting a N adaptor if that will help.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
so an AP is pretty much another router????

i would have to run x feet of cat wire from my current router/modem to where i put the AP to get the signal out to the shop

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
89YT12, you can use your old wireless router a a makeshift access point.
What you want to do is gain access to your old wireless router and turn of DHCP. You can assigned it an IP that is in ths amne subnet as your new router to gain access. Once this is done you can connect a CAT5 from your new router to an unused switch port of your old wireless router. Do not connect it to the WAN/internet port. By conecting it in this way you get to use your old wireless router as an access point and it gets it's IP from your new router. You'll still ewant to setup security like WEP etc.
This si what I've been doing on my home LAN for quite awhile now. I used not to get service from my main wireless router in my den but now I get all bars :D
Good luck
Dave

·
The Admin from... Nowhere!
13,936 Posts
For what its worth, I would agree with everyone else who says set up an access point either using your existing old router or a new piece of hardware... My only experience with a wireless repeater (D-link G if I recall correctly, some years ago) was that the sucker ran so hot and only worked for 20 minutes before it fried.... It was obviously defective from the factory, but it kinda soured me on repeaters. What we were trying to do with it was put internet into a machine that did not have a wireless card, so we hooked the repeater to the machine and configured it to obtain wireless from an existing network... We wound up just running a wire to the machine in the end.... ALWAYS the more reliable option...

Sorry, gotta ask, but any thoughts about just stringing a wire along the ground (possibly in some flex conduit) out to the garage? My garage is only 10 feet from the house, and with where my wireless router is (in the basement halfway through the house) I now only get 1 bar in the garage... Used to get 3, before all my neighbours got wireless too... So, thank goodness I had the extra conduit run when we built the garage and pushed a Cat5 cable out there...

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
up at my grandparents we couldn't get wireless from their house to a trailer about 1000' away, so we used 100' of schedule 40, and I had an old Cisco aironet 350 laying around and mounted it to a maple and used PoE to get the job done!!

·
Alfa Twin Cam Power
1,201 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I did consider running a Cat5 to the garage. Perhaps I'll do that when I expand the garage next year. I even considered replaceing my overhead cable TV with a composite cable but couldn't find any composite cable with a covering suitable for being out in the weather. For now I'll go wireless.

What should I look for in an access point? Is there anything that I should avoid? Is staying with the same manufacturer as the router important?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts