My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Father of 8!LordHelp'sMe!
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To the Pro's---

Do you guys keep "Logs" on customer's equipment?

Not sure if this will help with what might need getting done, or not. I know we do it with equipment all the time, to the point that when its time to replace, instead of repairing when money allows.

Do you guys get to do total tear-down rebuilds?

I'm curious if many folks have this done, there is quite a bit of equipment out there that I imagine gets tossed just for the reason folks don't think of it.

Thanks for taking the time to reply, oh and

MERRY CHRISTMAS! You bunch 'O small engine bums! :trink39:

·
Super Moderator
17,139 Posts
I would venture here, that the average person, nowdays, does not have the where -fore, or want to really go deep into fixing anything, anymore. Cost too much/takes too much time...yade yada...
I am saying a majority of the average population...(then there's us)

Way of the world mindset.:dunno:

glenn

·
Young Buck
1,594 Posts
most of the stuff that gets tossed ends up with me free, so I don't always mind, but The stuf that has been abused all the way to the side of the road, is a sad sight. usually not able to be fixed, either by cost or lack of parts.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
We keep logs on every piece that comes in. That is all SN's, codes, model numbers etc. There are a lot of reasons to do this. If you warranty your work (which everyone should) then there is a record, you know what you have and have not done to it so you don't get scammed, keeps less than honest folks from bringing back an identical machine with a different sn insisting it broke again and should be fixed under your shop warranty. Guy calls up to order blade or such for something that has been in her, I don't have to ask for machine info, i already got it. A big one for me, if something that comes through here that is stolen, i have the records to back up who brought it in.

As far as total rebuilds, residential customers won't spend that kind of money unless it is something special to them. commercial cutters, if they are small 1-5 man mom and pop types won't rebuild normally, but the bigger guys seem to be inclined to. Why buy a new $400 trimmer when i can rebuild it for $150-200 if it is worth it.

·
Certified Technician
8,551 Posts
I keep a copy of every work order that is dated and signed, it details what was done, and what parts were used. But as far as a "log" of stuff like that...no, too much volume and people usually replace stuff every couple years these days anyways.

·
Registered
569 Posts
We keep logs on every piece that comes in. That is all SN's, codes, model numbers etc. There are a lot of reasons to do this. If you warranty your work (which everyone should) then there is a record, you know what you have and have not done to it so you don't get scammed, keeps less than honest folks from bringing back an identical machine with a different sn insisting it broke again and should be fixed under your shop warranty. Guy calls up to order blade or such for something that has been in her, I don't have to ask for machine info, i already got it. A big one for me, if something that comes through here that is stolen, i have the records to back up who brought it in.

As far as total rebuilds, residential customers won't spend that kind of money unless it is something special to them. commercial cutters, if they are small 1-5 man mom and pop types won't rebuild normally, but the bigger guys seem to be inclined to. Why buy a new $400 trimmer when i can rebuild it for $150-200 if it is worth it.
We can all learn a thing or two from Todd about keep records!!

I keep name, address, what I did, type of equipment, date of repair..
My goal has always been to call these clients in teh spring, fall, but rarely do..but will do it this coming year...

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm curious if some of you Pro's could get some kind of "Hook-up" with salesmen for some kind of referral, and be able to get some of that old equipment for rebuilding, and re-sale.

Sound interesting?

Hate to see all that old equipment go to waste....

·
Certified Technician
8,551 Posts
usually when a peice of equipment is abandoned, we have to destroy it/discard it, or sell it for enough money to pay back the bill owed, its some sort of law...so I usually get people to forfeit it directly, or Ill offer a few dollars. Once it changes hands..it becomes personal property.

If its a pile of junk...I strip good parts off, but usually I try to fix and sell whatever it is, I generally keep all sideshaft engines regardless.

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
A Hook-up with sales men from other shops? no. Out here most shops will hardly give a competitor the time of day, much less a helping hand. Your best referrals are customers word of mouth. Heck, I have had folks stop by that never new we were here, until the got the word of mouth about us, stop by and say they had a few mowers, maybe a tiller or LT they are hauling to the dump but would gladly give it to me if I wanted it for parts. Last moth a guy gave me 5 chain saws, said they were all no good. One needed a fuel line, one a carb kit, one a carb adjustment, #4 a carb, and the last one, haven't got into yet. It's all in how you treat and talk to folks.

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A Hook-up with sales men from other shops? no. Out here most shops will hardly give a competitor the time of day, much less a helping hand. Your best referrals are customers word of mouth. Heck, I have had folks stop by that never new we were here, until the got the word of mouth about us, stop by and say they had a few mowers, maybe a tiller or LT they are hauling to the dump but would gladly give it to me if I wanted it for parts. Last moth a guy gave me 5 chain saws, said they were all no good. One needed a fuel line, one a carb kit, one a carb adjustment, #4 a carb, and the last one, haven't got into yet. It's all in how you treat and talk to folks.
OH-no, what I was implying-Here, we have businesses that sell equipment, but don't have any type of "shop".
Kinda like Sears...they sell, just don't fix.

Just hate to see so much equipment go for scrap, when if someone was willing, they could fix it or at least sell it to someone that might want it.

I do my part to refer everything to a small engine guy that lives up the road a bit. A good guy...he must be fairly busy though, I've tried to offer him work, like my kids go-cart, but he told me they don't make those anymore, and parts would be hard to find. I was just looking for some "brake-work", and since he didn't seem to want to tackle it, in about 15 minutes, I found the parts on line, and rebuilt them myself.

Guess that is what has started me down the line of doing my own work....

·
Certified Technician
8,551 Posts
Alot of shops wont touch karts simply due to the fact that kids dont take care of stuff these days, and karts are generally abused...and kids get hurt on them, and the "sue happy" society we live in.

My former boss had a guy 3 weeks ago come in with 2 NEW Honda GX-160's...3/4" crank..had a few hours on them at best..no dirt, and they had 2011 serials. He bought new pressure washers and the pumps died immediately and he doesnt have time for warranty stuff so he just gave away the engines...lol

·
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
weird...sears has there own guys do dishwashers, fridges, and stoves around here....friend at work took a couple of hours off to let one in his house to fix his dishwasher. Didn't realize it wasn't the same across the nation.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
When I had my towing business, I tried to keep detailed computer logs on every customer. One reason is that receipts fade or get lost, and a computer record wasn't hard to keep when you're sitting in the office on a slow day. It helped when a call came in and I could look up a plate number and see in advance if their car was lowered or otherwise hard to hook up, requested dollies, or had anything else that would need me to be prepared for. It even helped if you already knew a customer's first name when you got there, eased an already stressful situation. I had a "remarks" box where I could enter if they were rude, bounced checks or anything else I felt was important, or even if the ladies had offered themselves for a free tow. That happened on two occasions by the same woman, and yes, I insisted she pay with cash.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts