My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About a 20' section of floor in the Hay Barn has been sagging lower and lower over the last 4-5 years. Couldn't put the repair off for another year so I started pulling up boards today. This floor is built on 2"x6" joists with 1"x10" subflooring and tongue and groove flooring boards on top. This is all supported by 4x4 beam runners set on concrete blocks with a short piece of 4x4 between the concrete block and 4x4 beam to set the height. We found the cause of the sagging floor was the short piece of 4x4 between the concrete block and beam were rotted away which allowed the beam to drop and tip over. I may need to remove some more flooring to inspect and reset the 4x4 beam. Snapped a few pics of where I got to today.

GOPR1125-m.JPG GOPR1126-m.JPG GOPR1129-m.JPG GOPR1131-m.JPG GOPR1132-m.JPG GOPR1133-m.JPG

Reactions: bontai Joe

·
Citizen of Earth
15,743 Posts
Looks like a major project. How old is the floor framing?

Reactions: cjet69

·
Registered
309 Posts
2 x 6 is pretty light for a flooring use in a structure like that.

Sistering floor joists as in the photos with nothing underneath for support is asking for trouble. A support beam should be under the center of the sistered joists.

Certainly not enough support piers underneath the support beams.

Having proper ventilation in any crawl space is also required.

JMHO

·
Registered
630 Posts
May have to mortgage the house to buy the lumber now. I know my building is on hold until some later date when I can afford lumber.

April 2020, cost to buy lumber for 200 SF deck.....936 dollars
April 2021...............................................................3696 dollars.
GOOD LUCK!

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
Agree about the lumber prices. What a mess they are right now. I second the sistering of joists at least in the sag area, along with new treated vertical supports. Might want to add more vertical supports as long as you have the floor opened up.
Nice looking barn space otherwise.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like a major project. How old is the floor framing?
My grandpa built it in the 1920's as a chicken barn. My dad and his brother repaired some rotted flooring from a bad roof after decades of neglect.

Looks good... but I can't help wondering if all the stuff that has got down between the two layers of flooring is holding moisture and potentially making the problem worse.
It held up quite well and the only problems to the actual flooring boards were caused by roof leaks. The main problem has always been the support beams underneath sinking or rotting or both.

2 x 6 is pretty light for a flooring use in a structure like that.

Sistering floor joists as in the photos with nothing underneath for support is asking for trouble. A support beam should be under the center of the sistered joists.

Certainly not enough support piers underneath the support beams.

Having proper ventilation in any crawl space is also required.

JMHO
The sistered joists were part of a repair done almost 40 yrs ago IIRC. They were supported by a 4x4 beam which you can see in one of the pics laying on the ground. I think we will add another pier block on top of the existing concrete blocks to get away from the taller 4x4 uprights.

This barn use to be fully supported by the pier blocks when it was built. The roof rafters were on 3 foot centers and supported by the walls. We converted it to a post and beam, added another rafter in between, and installed metal roofing. Here is an old pic that shows the floor support under the building.

img288 - Copy (Medium).jpg

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
May have to mortgage the house to buy the lumber now. I know my building is on hold until some later date when I can afford lumber.

April 2020, cost to buy lumber for 200 SF deck.....936 dollars
April 2021...............................................................3696 dollars.
GOOD LUCK!
My brother just bought 2 pieces of 4x8 7/16 OSB, a 2"x2", and a box of screws for just under $200.00
Yes any repair or new construction is really going to get a hit from current value of material.
I saved most of the flooring material, but we may need a treated 4x4. If we need any boards we have the sawmill and some Fir logs just waiting.

Agree about the lumber prices. What a mess they are right now. I second the sistering of joists at least in the sag area, along with new treated vertical supports. Might want to add more vertical supports as long as you have the floor opened up.
Nice looking barn space otherwise.
I think by adding pier blocks on top of the other concrete block will get us up off of the ground and prevent the vertical supports from getting damp and dry rotting.

·
Citizen of Earth
15,743 Posts
Still got the tractor?

Reactions: cjet69

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Still got the tractor?
Yes we do. Its a 1941 Farmall A that my grandpa bought used around 1945/1946 to replace the horses.
Here is a pic taken a few weeks ago.

GOPR1004-m.JPG

·
Citizen of Earth
15,743 Posts

·
ADMINISTRATOR
16,213 Posts
Great project, that old pic is very, very cool! I've done a few barn floor repairs. Some are like archeological digs. All kinds of stuff hid under them.

Looking forward to seeing your work on it, thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We took out 16' of 4x4 to start with and found some more punky wood so we went to 24' total. The original blocking was set on every third floor joist we went on every other floor joist this time. Just have to dig in a few more pier blocks and set the last 8' 4x4 and then it will be time to button this up. May have to fire up the sawmill for a few replacement boards.

GOPR1154-m.JPG GOPR1155-m.JPG GOPR1156-m.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The treated 8' 4x4's are all in. I need to do a little crawling under the floor to set a couple more uprights on the next row of 4x4's and then it time to board it up. There is one more spot that we want to repair after this, but its not as bad, I hope.

GOPR1161-m.JPG GOPR1158-m.JPG GOPR1160-m.JPG

·
Premium Member
6,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Milled some full 1x's for the subfloor. This will get furring strips at the floor joist's and then the old tongue and groove boards will be nailed back down.

GOPR1188-m.JPG GOPR1189-m.JPG GOPR1191-m.JPG

Reactions: dave_r
1 - 16 of 16 Posts