My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a mystery engine from a long time ago, and there are no parts to be found. I've taken extra care with all the parts, but I need to do some work to the magneto.

Sure it works, but the plastic martial on the coil is broken and falling off, leaving it exposed.

Some pictures: http://img576.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=dsc01038l.jpg

My question is what can I use in place of the old plastic material? I was told that silicone would work by another guy by would like other ideas.

Thanks.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,098 Posts
" martial on the coil is broken and falling off, leaving it exposed."
"My question is what can I use in place of the old plastic material?"

Many years ago, I got a spray can of material at an electric motor shop and used it to seal the windings of my ancient electric welder which was doing the same thing. I would check this out.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
You can buy the two part epoxy that electrical components are imbedded in if you want to build up an actual cover for it that has thickness to it. the only downside to that is you'll have to build some sort of mold to hold it in until it sets. IMHO it would be the better option as it won't just insulate but hold everything together as well.
Another option might be the self vulcanizing tape you can wrap around it, once that stuff sticks together you aren't gonna get it off no-how.....Mike

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
As Walt mentioned there are spray products available that are formulated for this kind of use. Some of the better ones have been phased out due to environmental concerns but there are some good ones still available. Be sure to select one that is rated for the higher temperatures the engine will produce.

A really simple fix, if you are not going to be running the engine enough to get it really warmed up, would be the "Liquid Electric Tape" that comes in a brush applicator can. It soaks into small areas well and seals things up but is a bugger to get off if you need to remove it.

Mike

·
15,000 +posts!
20,545 Posts
J-B Waterweld putty will work,its a good electrical insulator...it goes on like modeling clay and hardens rock hard and is waterproof..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Is this coil out of an old lawn boy engine or something made by the OMC corporation? This coil look identical to the coils Johnson/ evinrude used from the early 50's up into the 80's. (and also in early lawnboys)

Go onto napa's website or stop by a napa store and the coil you are looking for should be part # 7-01615. Don't try to reseal the coil, good ones are readily available. Good luck, :fing32:

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
Is this coil out of an old lawn boy engine or something made by the OMC corporation? This coil look identical to the coils Johnson/ evinrude used from the early 50's up into the 80's. (and also in early lawnboys)

Go onto napa's website or stop by a napa store and the coil you are looking for should be part # 7-01615. Don't try to reseal the coil, good ones are readily available. Good luck, :fing32:
If that new coil will fit it sure would be the way to go IMO.

Mike

·
Premium Member
9,603 Posts
New coil is the way to go, but in a pinch JB is a good option. I used JB to seal the exposed windings on a electric clutch, seemed to hold up well. Instead of a mold, mix small amounts and apply in layers with a small paint brush allowing an hour between layers.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Tulsa engine warehouse $ 17.60.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts