My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, got another problem

I've got a cracked hydro line that is dumping fluid all over the place. Why do I always buy machines with hydro leaks?

Anyway, from the seated position, it is the rt side line coming into the transmission on a 420. It is broken right behind the nut at the tranny (may be the hydro pump, I'm not sure what you call this thing. The line is just above the filter.

It looks like a real pain to replace plus I can't find one. Can it be cut and a new fitting be added?

·
16,530 Posts
Is it metal--or rubber?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It is steel and broke right at the nut.

It is Sunday and I was hoping to not have to remove the entire line and replace it. I can't even find the other end from the top.

It is on the trailer with the deck still on it. Total nightmare situation if I have to get it unloaded and get the 60" deck off w/o the engine running.

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
Get a helper, and lift on the deck as you work the outer hydraulic lever back and forth. Should be able to hold it forward and lift.

Then tighten the deck height adjustment as much as possible.

You have a freewheeling lever just like the 300 series I believe.

Shouldn't be too much of a nightmare.

NAPA will be open today are are able to make flexible lines in the store.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 60" deck won't hardly fit between the ft and rear tires w/o manipulating the steering back and forth, which I cannot do.

Where does that line go?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
If the steering has gone out right away, I would say it goes to the steering valve.

Grab two helpers and lift the front end over the fender wells.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It goes to steering, I tracked the line. Of course it is one that goes on the back and appears to be inaccessible.

So we're going to pick up a 420?

Can the end of the line be cut off and replaced with a compession fitting or something?

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
I'm not a big man, but I lift the front of my 318 a foot and a half by myself while my son puts jack stands under the axle.

I doubt any compression fitting you would find on a Sunday would hold 900 psi back.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can wait until tomorrow if needed. I'm just don't look forward to removine all of those lines going into the steering valve to get to the back one. I don't even thing it can be easily reached from underneath.

BTW, I bet a 420 weighs 250 lbs more than a 318.

·
16,530 Posts
I do not think a compression fitting will work for you on that application..They are made for softer metal--like brass/copper--most metal lines have a special feeral made into them that the nuts slides up on to give a complete closeure. That is a lot of PSI on that line...Vibration is most likely what caused the failure....

·
The Magnificent
20,952 Posts
318 - 836 lbs
420 - 916 lbs

Of course that does not take into account accessories, deck, etc. Your 60" deck is probably 70lbs heavier than my 46" deck.

But, you will need to remove the fender pan obviously, the deck and the belly screen. Getting to the steering valve fittings isn't too hard. You will want some flare nut wrenches if you do not have any.

·
JD Green all the way~!
1,312 Posts
I do not think a compression fitting will work for you on that application..They are made for softer metal--like brass/copper--most metal lines have a special feeral made into them that the nuts slides up on to give a complete closeure. That is a lot of PSI on that line...Vibration is most likely what caused the failure....

X2

Don't know if it helps much, but one broke on my 300, and i went ahead and replaced both while I was in there. Not sure if your set up would be similar to mine or not.

I had to remove the seat pan/fender pan (what ever its called) to gain access.

I ordered it new from the dealer. I was looking for some good used replacements on ebay, and none were out there at the time. Now you can find them easy as pie. Mine were only like $20.00 to $25.00 each from the dealer. I sucked it up, worth while I think.

~F~

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine broke behind the nut but pretty much the same thing. How'd you get them off the steering box? From underneath?

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got it off! I had to pull the left side tower and remove another hose to get to it but it is off!

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
"I'm not a big man, but I lift the front of my 318 a foot and a half by myself while my son puts jack stands under the axle."

D-Dogg I think you should ask for a floor jack for Christmas.

home-boy one of the first attachments I made for my 400 was a boom pole. You'll be surprised what your tractor's three point will lift. I used my Brinly sleeve hitch adapter and then made the pole. These pics are the one redlandhill sells. Very simple and very handy until I got my first loader. Now I can pick up a tractor by the front and spin it like on a vertical rotisserie.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
"I'm not a big man, but I lift the front of my 318 a foot and a half by myself while my son puts jack stands under the axle."

D-Dogg I think you should ask for a floor jack for Christmas.

home-boy one of the first attachments I made for my 400 was a boom pole. You'll be surprised what your tractor's three point will lift. I used my Brinly sleeve hitch adapter and then made the pole. These pics are the one redlandhill sells. Very simple and very handy until I got my first loader.
I like it! I already have a 3 pt trailer hitch that would suffice for the lower part. I only need the arm and I'll be there!

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,244 Posts
That hose looks to have a simple single flair. You could probably buy a flair tool for less than a new hose and repair the one you have.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, hydraulic shop wanted $40 to braze my line, $60 to make a new one.

JD dealer will have a factory line tomorrow morning at 8 am for $18

1 - 20 of 28 Posts