My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,752 Posts
Uplander? Thats the GM minivan/suv/stationwagon kinda thing right??

Should not be that bad of a job realy.. I surprised they dont what to do it. You would have to remove the strut, and doing that, you would need a spring compressure, and there is a little danger invalved if you have never done one before.

·
Super Moderator
32,752 Posts
have not looked at Orielly's yet, was in AutoZone the other day and all they carry is Chilton's which does not list the Uplanders that i saw.

yeah, it is the minivan/SUV crossover. They tire shop said what he saw in teh procedure was you had to remove the freaking windshield wiper for the passenger side and a bunch of other stuff. he said he COULD do it, but that they generally don't like to do jobs that will take more than 1 day. jsut too much work and he would not feel right about the charges. The dealership said that they could do it for 250.00 labor plus parts, BUT we have to buy the parts from them and get them to do teh alignment. by the time you total it out it comes to about 1k. whereas the parts alone are only about 75.00, plus 30 for the alignment from teh tire place.
Thats very common for minivans. The wiper cowl normaly is a removable part. At least on the Fords I have worked on its not that bad. About a extra half hour work. Frankly I would look for someone else to do it. Did you price out the dealer yet??

·
Super Moderator
32,752 Posts
Dont forget to add the cost of a alignment into the quote. Im sure the dealer is, make sure the independent shops are also. Frankly I am not a big fan of the chain places. Working at a dealer parts dept I just see SOOOO many things go over the coun ter to them, that never gets sold to anyone else.

We just did a caddy front strut tops the other day at the shop. We had got the OE parts, and one was wrong, and could not get it, so I went aftermarket. They were real nice. The GM's seem to be the one time that the aftermarket seem to do a better job then OE!!!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.