My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 170 last year for $50, it is in overall good condition and I thought I could use it for parts for my 180 if nothing else. I'm told that it runs and drives but developed an oil leak but was shut down before it created issues with the engine.

I tried to start it once but the oil I added to the engine leaked out pretty quickly and there is enough already on the engine and front edge of the deck that it was hard to tell where it is coming from. Searching on here, it appears that the oil pan gasket is a likely source and that isn't an easy repair.

I also have a 185 that was running well but I hated the hydro transmission so I used the front axle and body for the 180 and I have the 38" deck up for sale. I'll never do anything else with the 185 carcass so I was considering swapping the 18hp engine into the 170 versus repairing the 14hp engine only to find it's been run out of oil and damaged. I could swap the three light instrument panel and wiring harness with the 18hp engine as well.

I believe that the body/frame are from the same family for both 170 and 185 so that should be okay, but the 180 has a Peerless 800 transmission and the 170 has a Peerless 840A. Not sure about pulley diameter differences between the 800 and 840A so I may have to get a different drive belt but bigger concern is whether the bigger 180 engine is too much for the 170 transmission? Maybe swapping pulleys between the two if different diameters will help?

Other concerns?

This all sounds sort of crazy I know but I've had my 180 for 20 years and it has been a really good tractor overall. (It currently won't start due to some sort of electrical/ignition problem but other than that it's been mostly great, haha) so making another 180 has some appeal to me.

I'd also like to make something out of the 170 and 185 carcass versus scrapping them or parting them out and I need the room in my barn.

Thanks!

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
An oil pan gasket isn't a hard repair, the worst part of it is actually removing the engine with the possibly rusted-on clutch and drive pulley on the crankshaft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's what I was thinking, plus the possibility of engine damage from oil starvation. Why not install the known good 18HP engine?

·
Super Moderator
23,334 Posts
No worries between engine size and transmission. An 8 hp engine will spin the tires of a heavily ballasted GT.

It' not the horsepower that will cause transmission woes, it's how much traction is available to make use of that horsepower.

Reactions: 8888
1 - 4 of 4 Posts