My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to replace the PTO draw pins on my bush hog rotary mower. They're loose and have been wiggling around. The nut is not rusted, rather I think the threads have been damaged because of the excess movement. I finally got one off and the threads inside the nut were really smooth.

But the other one is kicking my behind. Any tips on the easiest way to get this off? I don't care about the pin or nut because I'm going to replace them, so I wondered about a nut splitter or cutting the pin but would love to hear any specific recommendations.

·
Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
If it were me I would cut them off with a torch. If you don't have a torch a big hammer and chisel will probably take it off.

·
Union Carpenter
406 Posts
Take a "ward" file and clean them treads up. If the old nut doesn't spin off nice the new one isn't goin on any easier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks!

Split the nut and buy a new one....
I just about did that getting the first one off ... oh, you mean the nut on the bolt.

I'll try that.

I can't file the threads because the nut is at the end of the bolt. The pins are trashed anyway so I'm replacing them.

·
certified tractor nut
1,424 Posts
i would try cutting the pin near the nut or the head with a sawzall or a hacksaw if you dont have a torch

·
Camaniac
3,751 Posts
A Dremel tool with cutoff wheel works for me, just go slow.

·
Retired - Veteran Mod
6,791 Posts
If it was me...

I'd cut that pin between the nut and the bracket of your mower with a pneumatic cut-off tool (or a 4½" angle grinder with a cutting wheel on it).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts