My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I had posted this in the past on TF, but all that info's gone now, so I will do it agean.

I have a 8N that I am doing a rebuild on. I need to romove the sleaves for the motor, but have not had any luck. They are cast iron, and seem to be the thick ones. I tryed tapping, I tryed the "weld a bead on the sleave, and they just pop out" trick, and have hod no luck. Any ideas for me. I would rather save the cost and do it myself, but as a last resort, I will have to have someone do it. Any tips on homemade tools? Tricks? Anything?

Thanks!!

·
Banned
109 Posts
I have no experience rebuilding 8n engines but have been following your progress with interest. From all I can find the weld method should work. But since it hasn’t, here is a couple or three things I found over on the YT Board. Zane is an old Ford N mechanic from the old days. I’m not sure about Evil Steve.

Zane Posted
“Their is a tool that you can use to drive the sleeves out of the bore with. It is best to have the crankshaft removed to insure that you don"t damage the journals by striking them. You could have a machine shop fabricate one by turning a piece of round stock just a little larger than the bore of the cylinders. First turn a piece of stock of about 3/4" to about .020" smaller than the bore, then turn half of the blank to about .020" smaller than the bore of the sleeves. Cut about 3/4" from each side of the turned driver so that it will go into the bottom of the sleeve if the crankshaft is still in the engine and with a 10 or 12 lb hammer and a large drift against the tool drive them out the top of the cylinder. Or you can do it the hard way and fabricate a threaded thingy to straddle the top of the cylinder and use it to crank the sleeve out. Not recommended by me!”

Evil Steve Posted
“Unless you have or can rent a sleeve puller for this bore size, I recommend you don't try. Let a machine shop try. Ya don't want to bugger up the bore. But, if you must try, take dry ice and pack it inside the sleeves to shrink the sleeve. Let her sit for about 30 minutes. Then you can start tapping the sleeves out from the bottom using an old piston as a driver or a shapped piece of steel milled to the bore size or (gulp) a large srewdriver. Work your way around the sleeves at 120% angles (i.e., one third they way around the sleeve) for even pressure.”

Then there was this link for a homemade tool.
http://www.av8rblake.com/tractor/SleevePuller.html

1 - 3 of 3 Posts