My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Subsurface dweller
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have this 8122. I have a certain modification in mind and needed the lift handle and rockshaft removed. The manuals show this being performed with a tidy dainty little wussie 2 armed gear puller being used to pull the handle casting. Baaahhhh! That works when they're pretty and new but give it 28 years of rust and that thing is pasted on there tighter'n Dick's hatband.
I've fought stuck things as this many times over and have a collection of store bought gear pullers and bearing splitters of every size and configuration. Most of them never get used and simply fail to get the job done. And yes, we've tried every type of magic spray juice in a can. These types of problems are not going to jump off of there with liberal dosage of wonder spray. Only brute force will make things move. Heat helps... but not always. We need TONS of force. You know the old saw... Ya want it done right...

Nothing beats massive amounts of steel and high quality SPS socket head cap screws ...

This application is fortunate to afford adequate room for a 1" thick pulling plate. The casting is straddled with 1/2"NC SHCS and a socket is placed over the shaft to act as a pusher and then start working those screws. Little here little there. Whack it with a 4 pound hammer. Work the screws again. Sooner or later that casting don't stand a chance! Bit by bit. Work the screws 1/3 turn this one then that one...

This is not for the faint hearted. The coarse thread takes tome torque and is slightly eased with Molybdenum Disulfide. By working the screws from side to side, a quasi first class lever operation is set up versus the standard center screw of a gear puller that works one to one. A hydraulic puller would be nice, but many times won't fit. Those SPS SHCS's can take some powerful powerful wretching. Waaaay more than the cheap shameful hardware available at the store!

An ugly tool all out of the scrap box, but it gets it done with no damage to anything. :fing32:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Looks like it will work. Guess I need to get busy. May go to harbor freight and see what they have for a hydraulic setup? Again thank you for the information.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Has anyone made any type of puller to remove a rusted snow blower U joint off a blower shaft that has been siting outside for many years. You can't get a gear puller on it. I half though about taking a pickle fork and cutting it out so it fits the blower shaft but, I not sure that would work.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I just pulled a lift handle earlier this week.

I used a two jaw puller and an small acetylene torch. In my case I had to heat the cast iron part of the handle to red hot. It came off grudgingly.

Of all the tools I have bought, that little acetylene torch has been the one tool I most appreciate most.

·
Old Iron Connoisseur
2,785 Posts
I just pulled a lift handle earlier this week.

I used a two jaw puller and an small acetylene torch. In my case I had to heat the cast iron part of the handle to red hot. It came off grudgingly.

Of all the tools I have bought, that little acetylene torch has been the one tool I most appreciate most.

I have a big Victor and it's one of the best tools I have. Not to question some of the other posts.. but if there is still paint on the handle you haven't even stated to get it hot. Enough heat and it will come back apart. It's mother natures laws that stuck it (rust) and mother natures laws that will un-stick it (thermal expansion).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts