My Tractor Forum banner
  • We have a new contest celebrating your backyard. Sponsored by Walmart, its your chance to win a $400 gift just in time for the 4th of July! HERE Contest Ends on the 30th.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GT 18 Twin 917.255913 - Briggs 422437, Type 0749-01
Someone here wrote that the starter can be removed without removing the engine - can someone direct me to that post, I'm having problems, I can't see how. The starter was spinning but flywheel not turning. When I removed the cover the gear was lined up to the flywheel all warned down, I believe this should retract when the key is released from start position not sure why it did not, someone please explain. Need quick help.

Thank you in advance.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,308 Posts
Take a 1/2" open end wrench and remove the two studs holding the starter. You may have to turn the flywheel a little to find a recess in the under side where the stud under the flywheel will come up far enough to come up and out.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the bolts out - I need to know if there is a way to work the starter out without removing the engine.

·
Plowboy
91 Posts
much easier just to remove the flywheel. sounds like the engine is very close to the body or frame of your tractor. when you have the clearance you can just slide it out the back of the engine horizontally. try to twist the starter casing counter clockwise so that the mounting tab comes out from under the flywheel. Don't forget to remove the power wire from the starter. since it's been sitting the bolt may be corroded. You DO NOT want the bolt to turn as the two positive brushes are soldered to the head of that bolt. you might break them off if you turn the bolt

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I removed the engine - but the reason the nylon gear on the starter was worned down by the flywheel was because the the assembly that is designed to push that gear back after the engine starts was put together wrong.

Thanks

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,275 Posts
Glad to see you got it apart! Hope it works out for you!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks - I got a new kit that included all the pieces to make it right ($10)
and got it back together.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts