My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took apart the transmission on my Honda harmony walk behind mower and now I'd like to put it back together again.

Does anyone know what solvent I can use to remove the sealant that was used between the two halves? I assume it is silicone rubber, but I'm not sure. The dried sealant is rubbery and is light gray.

Also -- I was expecting that the transmission would be packed with grease or oil, but the parts are all just liberally coated with oil. I don't see any wear. Does this picture look okay to you all?

·
Lawn-Boy fan
256 Posts
That would be HondaBond sealant. My dad is a Honda (car) tech and I've been using that for years. The best way to get it off is with a putty knife. You can use sandpaper in any small spots the putty knife can't get to. That is good stuff and I can't think of any solvent that will disolve it. My dad always had me use elbow grease.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
I use a razor blade to clean off the bulk of it. It doesnt have to be spotless.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The answer is gasoline. Lots of gasoline.

Also those green scrubber pads. No razor blades, because the housing is plastic and I cut into it in a few places with the blades.

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,787 Posts
Oh good grief, I had no idea the case was plastic. Sorry about the razor recommendation then...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts