My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe the starter went on my Honda Ht3813 and from everything I have read I will have to pull the engine to get to the starter. Has anybody had any experience that can give me some tips?

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
iirc, when i pulled my starter, there were two bolts under the flywheel and i don't believe that's coming off without pulling the engine. The good news is, the hardest part of pulling the engine is disconnecting the driveshaft from the flywheel - maybe a 30 minute job

i'll see if i can find the post where i described it and had some pix up

but question - is the starter bad (ie the bendix) or is it just the solenoid? ie no clikking when you turn the key

don't know why but the search function doesn't seem to work for me on this forum.

found some shots that may be helpful -

first a shot of the flywheel with a homemade puller i made - if you don't have a 1/2" impact wrench, you'll need something to hold the flywheel while you loosen the 22MM nut holding it onto the crankshaft - 2nd honda provided tapped holes around that nut for exactly the purpose i'm using them for - to hold the circular head onto the flywheel - i basically copied honda's special tool they offer for this purpose

if you do have a 1/2" impact wrench, others suggest just using a large screwdriver inserted between the flywheel and the head of one of the bolts under it - do not pry against the aluminum case

2nd, flywheel being pulled

flywheel off - and there two bolt heads under the flywheel,

here are some shots of the starter dis-assembled - biggest or tuffest part was cleaning the bendix drive - i basically kept soaking it in MEK and rinsing back out to get all the carbon dust that had come off the brushes, out of it and gumming it up

if you're inclined to go with a new starter, few years back i found the part number of mine (on the label on starter body) at nippon denso's distributor in california - they had a pretty complete catalog online - iirc, their price was $99 + shipping

bendix drive

and while you're under the flywheel, if you've never changed the timing belt, you might want to consider doing it now. I went ahead and swapped mine as well as the water pump while i had the flywheel off. waterpump is the large dome shaped thing with the sprocket teeth, turned by the timing belt - you'll see just under the word "Ignition coil" in red in the last flywheel shot

i've got some shots of when i took my solenoid apart and repaired it - it really is a simple item to repair, if that's your issue

1 - 2 of 2 Posts