21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
The Sea of Green Machines
4,766 Posts
Many thanks for that Al!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Those keys are almost pressed in and very tight. They can be removed through tapping and prying with punches or chisels, but be careful as to not damage the shaft. I had to replace the key on the input shaft on the trans in my 10591 when I had it apart for servicing. I trashed it after having to remove it to replace the input shaft bearings which were worn.
If the keys are that hard to remove what does it take to put the new one in?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
If the keys are that hard to remove what does it take to put the new one in?
First, I used a file to smooth the edges of the key. (I had caused a few spurs on it from trying to use vise grips to pull it out.) Then, I just lined it back up with the slot in the crankshaft and used a large set of channel lock pliers to press it back into the slot.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I wonder if this procedure will apply to my 1984 Toro 20672 and other equivalent Toro mowers equipped with the BBC, such as the 20584, 20624, 20676 and 20684.

~Ben

·
Registered
890 Posts
Not too familar with BBC. I do have an M with bbc though. Its working fine now. If I have a problem in the future, is it possible to do away with the BBC all together?

·
LB-Keasler
8 Posts
I have just replaced both of these bearings in the BBC. Parts are readily available on Ebay using 6004 bearing for the upper and 6006 bearings on the clutch assembly.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/6006-RS-60...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/S6004-2RS-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

There are multiple brands available just go by the size if nothing else. I decided to buy these as they are American made bearings or so I think. The original bearings in my clutch were NSK bearings. As for the clutch disc it looks to be in very good usable condition.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts