My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son has a 1998 GMC 1/2 ton, 2WD, with a 305 V8, the engine is going south. Autozone is selling remanufactured engines as replacements. 2 are made by Surefire, a VCMC, and a DCMC. They also sell a (direct replacement), engine. They all have a 3 year warranty, anybody ever buy 1 of these? And if you did, how's it holding up? Prices are not posted on the web, he's trying to get them now, Thanks

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I had a friend of mine that bought one and as far as I know he never had any problems with his and he put a mild cam in it and did some backroads street racing from time to time.

·
forkz
6,566 Posts
a friend of mine had 98 chevy 350 after many miles it went south hen got a crate motor from gm went tru chevy dealer he had to keep the intake n heads of his i don.t remember what ha paid are the autozoes complete

·
Registered
284 Posts
I put a reman 302 long block in my daughters 71 Mustang and she drove it 75000 miles. somewhere around 50k I lost compression in a cylinder because the valve seat was beat out. The guy I took the head to said it didn't have hardened valve seats. This was about 2002. I have the car now and it still runs ok but it's not licensed anymore. She drove that car almost nine years. Lots of stories.

·
Premium Member
1,036 Posts
Check out Jasper. I helped put a reman 7.3 diesel in a F250 a few years back and it was a Jasper. Came with just about everything you needed, very easy to install, plus it has a 3 yr 36,000 mile warranty on it. Still going strong to this day.

·
aceman
337 Posts
with all the engine that i replace the only enginer that i will installed is a target master they are a new engine from G M and alnost the same price as a reman had great luck with then wish I could say the same for reman

·
Super Moderator
32,416 Posts
Personly I would avoid the small name rebulders. they might be fine... but I have seen toomany cases of mismatched parts, some new, mostly worn parts, bad fitment, cheap parts.... well I could go on.... I would look at the GM remans... not a ton more realy depending on what one. Also as was posted, a lot of good aftermarket crate engines also... Check out summut, Jegs.... Is a self rebuild a option??

·
Resident Man Of Many Hats
2,641 Posts
A lot of those things are hit or miss, I've had good luck with some and horrible luck with others. As mentioned above Summit, Jegs and your local dealer can get GM engines that tend to be much better in build quality than those other brands.

If it were mine I'd just rebuild it, you can do it for the same price and you'll know whats inside at the end. Some of those mass rebuilders use CHEAP parts to save cost and offer a lower price to the customer. That often backfires though as they add weak links where they once didnt exist.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I hve priced Jasper a few times and so far every time more than double what Iw as able to rebuild myself for, and I always send the disassembled pieces thru a machine shop for whatever remachining might be necessary, I hate redo's so I don't leave anything to chance.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I hve priced Jasper a few times and so far every time more than double what Iw as able to rebuild myself for, and I always send the disassembled pieces thru a machine shop for whatever remachining might be necessary, I hate redo's so I don't leave anything to chance.
I usually build my own as well, but the original post was about a crate motor to drop in...

·
Registered
3,994 Posts
I've heard some of these builder only replace what's bad, i.e. throw in all new bearings, maybe new cam and lifter, but many times reuse pistons, just replace rings, etc. They are gauranteed, but.....????
I'm in the same situation with my '99 Tahoe, I have an oil pressure problem and a lifter is going south. I'm contemplating a GM replacement myself, but maybe just do my own rebuild as I can do it much cheaper.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts