My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I removed the Koehler M18 on my 18g to have someone work on it. It was very easy to remove it. I have a few questions on reinstalling it. Where can a get a new I ring for it? It looks like there may have been a paper gasket there too at one time, is there supposed to be? Lastly, in the service manual it men's ions bearings that will slide off the shaft as I pulled the engine out, it did not see any, are they in the adapter plate? Thanks

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
264 Posts
The oring you can get at Richards, along with the gasket. The bearings are between the adapter plate and the gear, there is a torrington bearing (flat roller) and shims. Don't loose the shims or the key stock in the gear, they are rather difficult to fish out of the bottom of the trans.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I "lost" a shim one time. It was stuck to the adapter plate and I didn't notice it as I pulled the engine off. I would be really careful looking there and can't imagine you had no flat roller bearing between the adapter and the gear. Others know more than me but I would think you'd need at least one roller bearing to keep everything spinning nicely??

Reading your post closely, did you not have anything between the adapter plate and the input gear? Did you even have a gear on the shaft when you removed the engine? If the answer to the last question is NO, you better look inside that trans.

Hope that's not a stupid question to ask you...just reading your post closely and trying not to assume anything.

·
Premium Member
8,842 Posts
I have never seen any Gravely engine that did not have 2 washers and a thrust bearing. Some bearing makers call that washer a race as they are ground and hardened. There are 3 thicknesses of washers available. They are .030, .060, and .125. Gravely was not consistent with their transmissions so the combinations of washers varies.

Get a magnet and start digging. You aren't the first person to lose a gear, bearing or washer inside a transmission. Look for the key if you don't have it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The gear and key were just barely still on the shaft. There is a washer for sure, so I am guessing the bearings are too, I just did see that they were bearings. I have dropped the engine off to be worked on already, so this is all just a mental picture I am going of off.

Sent from the MTF Free App

1 - 5 of 5 Posts