My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I recently replaced the coil,starter solenoid,points,condenser,plugs,cap and rotor on my case 600 tractor. It ran fine for a day, when I went out to start it again it would not start. The battery has a good charge on it, the solenoid clicks but the starter does not engage. There is a whine to it when i try to start it but no engagement. Could it be the starter or maybe something else? Is there a easy way to check the starter without taking it off the tractor?

·
Banned
2 Posts
I recently replaced the coil,starter solenoid,points,condenser,plugs,cap and rotor on my case 600 tractor. It ran fine for a day, when I went out to start it again it would not start. The battery has a good charge on it, the solenoid clicks but the starter does not engage. There is a whine to it when i try to start it but no engagement. Could it be the starter or maybe something else? Is there a easy way to check the starter without taking it off the tractor?

i would check all your connections and make sure they are clean and making a connection. ....

·
Registered
786 Posts
Try jumping the large lugs on the solenoid with a screwdriver, if it turns over then the solenoid is bad. If it doesnt, try jumping it with a car. If it still doesnt turn over, check all the connections for corrosion. If all that fails, then the strater may have bit the dust.

·
Tractorhead
270 Posts
There is a whine to it when i try to start it but no engagement. Could it be the starter or maybe something else?
Is there a easy way to check the starter without taking it off the tractor?

There's no easy way I'm aware of.
reedfarm - By the nature of their open design a fair amount of the time Solenoid Drive Starters (SDS) on Onan engines can clog with dirt, grass, and other assorted types of debris over time making it difficult for the pinion gear to move forward on the worm gear in order to make correct contact with the ring gear. Before you purchase a new SDS consider removing your engine from the tractor in order to gain access to the SDS. Remove the SDS and thoroughly clean the area around the pinion gear. Of course any type of lubricate will attract dirt but I would apply a liberal amount of your favorite penetrating oil or lubricate to the worm gear area. The worm gear can get very dirty and not allow the function of that gear to work properly - move the pinion gear forward and backward.

·
Banned
1,500 Posts
If the starter is spinning but not engaging then the problem is most likely the bendix drive. The first thing to try is to spray a penetrating oil onto the bendix drive while trying the starter. Quite often, the bendix just gets gummed up. The bendix is a gear that spins upward to meet the ring gear on the flywheel when the starter has power applied to it.

Now if that does not do the trick, there is some leeway in the holes that are used to fasten the starter to the engine. You can loosen off the bolts and move the starter away from the flywheel a tad and then try the key again.

If none of that helps, then a new bendix drive is needed but you have to assess the entire starter at that point because it is not a small job to change it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts