My Tractor Forum banner

RED's 2018 Winter Refresh

4236 Views 52 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  larrybl
1990 Craftsman 917.254450. Started on RED’s 2018 Winter Re-Fresh. First up to remove the deck and move out of the way. Same for the hood. Thinking on installing the spare engine I bought a few years ago. Never started it up. Will need to change the alternator to the single wire one. Removed fender pan and foot rests. Drained 2 gallons of gas. A tire valve cap works well to seal the gas pump. Helper showed up for a while and helped remove the gas tank. Got the shop vac out and vacuumed the top of the tranny, I need access to the yellow plug to add “00” Grease later on. Next was the battery, still in good shape. Have to remove the air cleaner housing to disconnect linkages. Moved underneath to disconnect more items. Engine removed, I need to pressure wash this tomorrow. Stopping point tonight.

Attachments

See less See more
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
Good, I'll be following your progress. Does Red have the steering box with the plastic Tee. Despite needing to change the tee every few years I like that steering setup. Except of the tee it seems more durable than some of the later model steering systems.
Cannon
Quite the teardown there Larry! Your son looks like he's really getting into it!
That's my Grandson :). Yes it has the steering set up you described, cleaning that area well as to evaluate it. The nylon T was replaced a couple years ago, and there is very little slop still. I just fininshe a once over with the pressure washer, going to hit it again, then close the shop up and turn the heat on till it drys. In the 40's here today.

Attachments

See less See more
Thanks! Started evaluating the spare engine. Spins free, clean / full oil, air filter in fair condition. Missing a couple muffler manifold bolts, and gaskets, but the muffler is in good shape and the frame will accept it. Carb looks OK. Will get some hi-temp paint for the muffler, it has held up well on RED's original engine. No Red paint left, but I have some black, so this will be black. Now for the kicker. No sooner that I started this project the electric shop A/C - Heater crapped out. Started making a weird noise like something was clogged, no venting to the outside, and when I cut it off there was a lot of rattling. Still have the propane so not a real concern, but I need to look into this also.

Attachments

See less See more
I un-plugged the A/C - heater and reset it. seems to be working OK now. I;ll keep an eye on it. 5 years old.
That's my Grandson :). Yes it has the steering set up you described, cleaning that area well as to evaluate it. The nylon T was replaced a couple years ago, and there is very little slop still. I just fininshe a once over with the pressure washer, going to hit it again, then close the shop up and turn the heat on till it drys. In the 40's here today.
Do you spray that tee with lube?I try to spray it on top,even,though its a dirty area.
I hit it with this after every mowing, I guess it's why it has held up so well. Took some doing to find a new can after they changed the can colors. Plan is to get the spare engine mounted up so I can work on it on the tractor. no plan to go into it unless something is terrible wrong with it. I'll need help lifting it down.

Attachments

See less See more
Finally got some things I needed to start the re-fresh. Some Hi-Temp paint for the muffler, dug out some gaskets for the header pipes, and some new "matched" screws. New air filter, plugs, and gas filter. Started adding the "00" grease tonight. I figure 2-3 funnel fulls should do it.

Priced some rear tires at T/S, $99.00 ea. I think Miller has the 4 ply 23 X 9.50 X 12 for around $45. Still need a new drive belt and evaluate the deck.

Attachments

See less See more
I finally got three funnel full in there. had to poke a clog but it worked!

Attachments

See less See more
Great job you are doing! Attention to all the things that most people never think of. That's how us "tractor fanatics" keep these older ones lasting so long. Original motor getting tired? Lots of hours probably?
Hit my first snag with the spare engine this morning. I know why there was an exhaust bolt missing. Unfortunally my Son isn't around so I had to tackle this on the floor. Cardboard is great to insulate the cold concrete, and coffee near by. After trying to re-thread for 3/8 I ended up tapping it to take a 1/2" bolt. Yea I know it isn't straight but it is tight and the muffler is installed.

Attachments

See less See more
Mounted the engine, but I'll have to remove it to drill and tap a 1/4" tin screw that broke off on the bottom of the R Cylinder unless someone knows of a 90* drill adapter. Needed to go in to it to change the alternator out. loosened the coil and moved it back, then POP goes the weasel. Good thing I did with all the dobber nests in there. Magnets and starter looks good.

Attachments

See less See more
Decided to fix as I go, so I needed to address the broken 1/4 Tin screw. No luck with the 90* Drill setups so I had to un-bolt the engine and tilt it some so I could get to the screw. After two broke drill bits and a smoked led flash light (yes it smoked after being dropped too many times) the ear tab in the hole broke off and the broke screw fell out. If I use a longer screw there are enough threads there to hold it on. I have a couple others like this.

Attachments

See less See more
I messed around with RED tonight. Removed the dobber nests and vacuumed. Took the dual stator off, looks like it had seen better days. Found a good single wire stator, plan is to blow everything off and assemble to where I can fire this up before I put the new parts on it.

Attachments

See less See more
Good day today, got up to 75* and is still 70* at 6:00 Pm in the shop (not bad for the first day of winter). Needed to exit the house so Mom could clean for tomorrow’s dinner. We were going to go to a Nerf battle arena but no one was there. So he decided on Urban Air. Haven’t been there in over a year, and they did some upgrades, most impressive was the zip / roller-coaster line. My grandson bout wore that out. They added rock walls five different ones, and upgraded the ninja warrior course. Still had the standard dodge ball and trampolines. Two hours isn’t enough for him now, so we finally got out of there 2-1/2 hours later. (only paid for 2 hours). Once home I changed the oil in my beater car, then worked on RED. Moved him out side to blow the rest of the dobber mud out of the fins. Installed the 9 amp single wire alternator. Put the flywheel back on.

Plan is to add the tins, hook up the gas tank and battery and see if this thing runs before, I replace the filters and plugs. Maybe tomorrow, but we have company coming over.

Attachments

See less See more
Merry Christmas eve all! I finished installing the spare un-tested Brigs 18hp twin on RED. Charged the battery, Purged the fuel lines with the defunct blood pressure monitor and tried to start it.

Starter will need rebuilt and the coil pack will need checked or changed.

If this runs I may buy a new coil pack for it.

Got to use a Christmas present today. No tripping on power cords now!

Attachments

See less See more
BOH may have to pick up mowing duties. Merry Christmas All! 60* at 6:00am this morning and fog. Opened the shop up and did some coil testing. From the internet I am supposed to get a reading of several k ohm from the kill wire to ground. I am getting .7 ohm on the 200 ohm setting on both coils. Dug out some more and only found one that gives .28k ohm on the 20k setting. I either have a box full of dead coils, or I am not reading these correctly. I even checked RED’s good engine and get .8 ohm on the 200 ohm setting. I am really confused at this point. I think I’ll put this aside and check the starter.

Attachments

See less See more
Larry, I used a cheap Ebay coil on this opposed engine https://www.mytractorforum.com/14-craftsman-sears-forum/1125585-3-more-yielded-temptation-2.html See post #28. I don't know how long it lasted but it ran fine when it left here. For what they cost ($13) you could keep a spare.
Cannon
1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.