My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I met a guy who is a distributor for these ATV while at lunch with an old Army buddy. He gave me his card and asked me to check out their website. These are the latest import ATV's coming out of China. They may not be in the same class with the major name brand ATV's but they are worth taking a look at in view of their near half the price tag. No word on reliability yet as they are pretty new.

http://www.redcatmotors.com/

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I will be following up and contacting these guys for an advertising offer shortly.

·
Member Extraordinaire - Deceased March 2017
3,101 Posts
€hieƒ™ said:
I met a guy who is a distributor for these ATV while at lunch with an old Army buddy. He gave me his card and asked me to check out their website. These are the latest import ATV's coming out of China. They may not be in the same class with the major name brand ATV's but they are worth taking a look at in view of their near half the price tag. No word on reliability yet as they are pretty new.

http://www.redcatmotors.com/
Chief, i did a lot of searching out these Chinese atvs ,and at one time even thinking about selling them. Some are good and some are not so good. You have to read up on them and do your homework. For instance take a 250 atv. Most are getting 2500.00 to 3000.00 for them. But , you can find Kawasakis and hondas on sale for purt near that price. There are good ones and some bargains out there, but buyer beware...they are not all the same quality.

Durwood

·
3,101 Posts
jodyand said:
This one sure looks like the Yamaha Rapter.
http://www.redcatmotors.com/pics_gallery/TCX-250.jpg
I'll tell you why that is Jody. When say Honda or Kawasaki change their linup on these things. Well, the chinese will buy all their old machinery, technology, etc, and then put them out themselves. There are a ton of the old little Honda minitrails out there being made by the chinese right now that is using Hondas old equipment etc. I was at a flea market a month ago and a guy was selling these little motorcycles(choppers) and he was claiming that it had a Honda motor on it. There was no Honda sticker on the motor. What it had was a Honda motor knockoff by the chinese using Hondas old technology. That doesn't mean it was up to the tolerence standard or quality standards that Honda sets. So, in a way it wasn't a Honda produced motor. I thought about letting him know about it. But you know how i am...would never open my mouth for any unnecessary reason. :050:

Durwood

·
Ratchet Jaw old Member
10,400 Posts
€hieƒ™ said:
I will be following up and contacting these guys for an advertising offer shortly.

This is interresting Chief , I think for the price that a dealer could tell the whole truth about the bikes and still sell them. depends what the profit margine is. If you hear more , I would be interrested in more facts and opinions . such as Durwoods input . Thanks

·
3,101 Posts
drbailey said:
This is interresting Chief , I think for the price that a dealer could tell the whole truth about the bikes and still sell them. depends what the profit margine is. If you hear more , I would be interrested in more facts and opinions . such as Durwoods input . Thanks
I don't want to give the wrong impression here. Like i said, i even thought about selling them myself. I was going to order thru an importer/exporter myself directly from China. I would have to order a 40' container to even make it feasable to do. It is just that there are so many manufacturers of them in China and like i said. Some are good and some aren't. It seems those little choppers are sold even in a lot of truck stops i go in now. And what if you would need a part? It will be on the next slow boat from China. If a dealer though can get established and buy from the same place and keep the same stock for his customers then it would be ok. It seems that your buddy is going that route. From my observance and what i have seen the atvs from china aren't as good a deal as the little dirtbikes and little choppers.

Durwood

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WDWCRP said:
It looks like all of them are 2WD ?
Yes, I believe they are. It has been my experience and the same talking with most others that 4WD is nice but in real application; if you can't get through it with 2WD, you most likely won't get through it with 4WD. The 4WD just digs you in deeper and makes the retrieval that much more difficult. 2WD and a winch is probably the most cost effective. I have never used a 4WD ATV so I reserve the option to change my mind on this and I am sure there are differing opinions.

·
Collector of many tractors
15,274 Posts
I know for a fact that I can take n=my 2-wheel drive some places that 4 wheel drive cant... They are to big and heavy...

·
3,101 Posts
One positive thing about these Chinese atvs is you can start your own dealership by just buying a bunch of them. I would hate to think what the start up costs would be for a Honda, Yamaha, or Kawasaki dealership would be. My oldest boy is a certified Yamaha and Honda mechanic. He wants to start his own cycle shop (selling and repairing) and i don't see how he can do it with the Japanese brands.Just for the heck of it i checked out just what it would cost to start up a "popeye chicken" restaurant. I found out you had to have a net worth of 1.5 million dollars. Just my luck i was about $300.00 dollars short of that.
Jeesh!!1 :1106:

Durwood

·
Registered
281 Posts
I researched these a lot and road a few before spending $2000 on a used polaris 400cc 2000 Scrambler. I even bought a sevice manual too
So I plan on doing most all my own work.

#1 parts seem hard to get unless you like waiting 2 weeks or more
#2 they have no power, check the rated HP most all 12-18hp on the full size ones less on the smaller ones.

I took one of the 4 stroke 250cc out for test ride it was slow real slow.

The Polaris I picked up has a separate tranny, McPherson struts in the front
and Fox shock in the rear. Hyd Disc Brakes all the way around,Goes like a bat out of **** too :).

I almost went with those no names, but I like the fact I can drive to the local shop and pick up most of the wear parts.

·
Banned
1,271 Posts
Don't forget the OLD Adage!!

Yous get's what Yous PAYS FOR!!

If the price is the main object buy a good quality used unit and you will have something to make new!

Buy a cheap knockoff and you will always have a cheap knockoff!!

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Kbeitz said:
I know for a fact that I can take n=my 2-wheel drive some places that 4 wheel drive cant... They are to big and heavy...
We ride a lot and have not found that to be the case. Not many machines heavier then what we ride either.The Polaris four wheel drive system works great the more any wheel wants to slip the more power it sends to the other wheels. I have spent quite a bit of time retrieving my two wheel drive buddies.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y96/slipshodent/Family/DSC00295.jpg[/IMG]]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts