My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have several large Red Ant colonies in my yard. I tried "Fire ant" killer but it didn't work. The molten aluminum looks cool, but a little over the top for me. I am not against (Gas, Oil, + Fire) but looking for something more safe, and household like (Bleach, drain cleaner, oven cleaner, etc) Any suggestions?
PS. The yard is pretty robust and recovers quickly. I have had several burn pits and once moved you can't tell they were there.

Attachments

·
Father Deerest
2,716 Posts
I have read a long time back that if you spread corn meal around the colony locations that they will eat it bring it back to the colony to feed on but the kicker is they can't digest the corn meal and kills them off. This worked for me plus it's safe for kids and critters. I have seen the youtube vids on molten aluminum looks really cool and the guys using gasoline is always good for a Darwin award joke.

·
Premium Member
2,375 Posts
Do a search for mixing Borax ( Boraxo laundry booster ) and powdered sugar, honey, or peanut butter. More than several youtube video's on the subject. Just watch if you have pets that they don't get into it. Most say 2 to 3 days, and they are gone. Sure would like to know if it works.

I wanted to try this myself, but I think the winter two years ago, and temps down to -14º took care of the problem for me.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Hey Larrybl,im in the same situation on one of my jobs.I have had success with Boric Acid, which is cheap and avalible at farm supply ,but i have not tried it on that type of ant yet.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have read a long time back that if you spread corn meal around the colony locations that they will eat it bring it back to the colony to feed on but the kicker is they can't digest the corn meal and kills them off. This worked for me plus it's safe for kids and critters. I have seen the youtube vids on molten aluminum looks really cool and the guys using gasoline is always good for a Darwin award joke.
I like the corn meal option, I'll try this on the one that is where the Dogs run. The other one is out back so no animals will be affected when I fill the hole with used oil.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I have tried, grits,amdro,sevin,boric acid all it does it makes them move to a new spot in the yard!!!! If you find something I will be happy to try it.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Starting to sound like a real challenge!

I have tried, grits,amdro,sevin,boric acid all it does it makes them move to a new spot in the yard!!!! If you find something I will be happy to try it.

I dealt with one last year. I tried several ways but had to use the aggressive gas down the tunnels & light. It was kind of fun watching the smoke come out of the other tunnels. I had to do it two days in a row but it worked. Be safe.

larrybl:
Explosives and molten aluminum are off the table.... for now.

Whoa! Let's keep your options open for now, especially if you can record video of said adventures.

·
Old Stonebreaker
3,398 Posts
When we lived in Texas I didn't worry about the red ants 'cause I had a full time job battling the fire ants. I sure don't miss them!! We only have the little tiny pi$$ ants here and they aren't a bother.
Mike

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I dumped 5 Qts of used oil on this one that the animals can't get to, to see what happens.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2+ gallons, lets see what this does before I tackle the other two.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, the oil was a FAIL! I dug around the mound to remove the contaminated soil and found they are alive and well. I started to panic some at this point (I didn't want them to move under the house) so I doused them with 1/2 gallon weed eater gas and lit it. Still seen some loose ones so I used a full can of wasp spray (careful this stuff is flammable!). Not sure if this worked, will dig around more tomorrow at this site. My Wife said she had a bag of Corn meal (was suggested by another member) they are supposed to eat it but can't digest it and DIE!. We will see as I used a whole bag on mound 2. still have 3 & 4 to deal with.

Attachments

·
16,345 Posts
Larry--I have been battling several different kinds of ants around my patio and along front driveway, in Virginia, for last week or so.

I already had several bags of spectiside/triazide for critter control(Bugs/mites/ants/grubs)--I applied that at first, then after it rained--I went back and used corn meal around my patio and along any ant mounds I saw.
I left the next day, and it really rained the next night so I don't know what the results are at this point....
The patio restoration project will continue when I get back...

glenn

·
Registered
4,164 Posts
Fire ants are a new problem for us. Never encountered them back in Mass. Amdro was recommended by neighbors. I bought some, but wife boiled water and poured it on the mounds. Haven't seen any since then. Oh, and I've used Home Defense back in Mass. and will try that next time.

·
Premium Member
9,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I got rid of the red ants, fire ants are still here, but to a lesser extent. My method isn't fit to post on the inter web.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I use spectracide dry granules on fire ants, works great... cheaper than amdro. Don’t put it out if rain is in the forecast overnight. Early evening sprinkle small amt around mound, workers will carry it back to the queen. Mounds and ants will be gone in 24-48 hrs

1 - 20 of 24 Posts