My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been offered a 1992 Toro 20107 in great shape at a very good price. The owner says it's not a Super and on the deck it says only Recycler. It's got a cast aluminum deck with the kickers. It's got a BBC, a 3-speed tranny and a 5.5 B&S GTS engine. If it's not a Super then just what does a Super have that this one doesn't? I thought the difference was aluminum vs. steel deck.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I might be mistaken here, but I think the "Super Recycler" name didn't come along until recently, to differentiate the cast deck models from the steel deck ones. I thought that they all used to be just "Recyclers".

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
My 22035 is a "recycler" while my 22043 and 22040 which I believe to be the best are "recycler II's" I noticed the super recyclers have a different looking front end...other than that I have no idea since the recycler II does such a wonderful job for me I have no need to find out about the super.

If you find something definitive, let me know.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I might be mistaken here, but I think the "Super Recycler" name didn't come along until recently, to differentiate the cast deck models from the steel deck ones. I thought that they all used to be just "Recyclers".
You're right. The first Recycler came out in 1989 with an aluminum deck and 3-speed. The Super Recycler didn't appear until 2005 and it had 5-speed Personal Pace.

What is interesting is that i and a few other people on here are unsure if the engine is in fact a briggs or a suzuki. It looks alot like a suzuki but many say its a briggs.
See some discussion here about the same GTS150 engine on a 1992-96 Proline. B&S custom made it for Toro and it's commercial quality.

This is looking good. It looks new, starts with one pull and the price is a firm $75. I'm considering this as a replacement for my 10324 which could be a huge mistake since it's almost ten years older. The quality seems almost equal to my Honda but it's much easier to maneuver maybe 10-15 pounds lighter with a much smoother transmission.

·
2 stroke enthusiast
6,568 Posts
You're right. The first Recycler came out in 1989 with an aluminum deck and 3-speed. The Super Recycler didn't appear until 2005 and it had 5-speed Personal Pace.

Nope. I bought new in 98' a Super Recycler sporting the 6 hp Quantum. It was the 3 speed select. Can't remember the model # off hand. It had the aluminum deck. This 95' steel decked 20442 2 cycle Toro I have now was labeled as just "Recycler".

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I bought new in 98' a Super Recycler sporting the 6 hp Quantum. It was the 3 speed select. Can't remember the model # off hand. It had the aluminum deck.
Did you know that some of the information on the web isn't accurate?!? I got the 2005 info from Toro's website in the old press releases section but apparently they were talking about a new redesigned Super and not the first Super. I found at least two Super models in 1998, 20487 and 20043.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I guess the mystery has been solved, my 20218 is a re-cycler it`s a 1991 or 1992. It has the 5hp Briggs motor and always starts on 1st or 2nd pull. It still has the kickers and I added a gator blade and that made a big difference. It`s a three speed wish it had the BBC, but I got the mower as a gift, from a gentle men, who I`ve been mowing his lawn for many years. The mower came with the bag, the mulch plug and the cover if I wanted to cover opening and leave it that way, looks brand new.

I see New Haven power equipment in Vermont has found some more oldies but goodies, To bad I bought the Honda HRX last year the GTS 20107 would have been nice instead, then every mower on my trailer would be the same color and brand.

I see they have some Snapper Model 21407T-2 2-Cycle Hi-Vac Lawnmower in stock. Wonder if they went for what their selling them for now?

http://www.newhavenpower.com/Snapper_21407T-2.html

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This is looking good. It looks new, starts with one pull and the price is a firm $75. I'm considering this as a replacement for my 10324 which could be a huge mistake since it's almost ten years older. The quality seems almost equal to my Honda but it's much easier to maneuver maybe 10-15 pounds lighter with a much smoother transmission.
Okay, I passed on this. Tonight I got an email from the seller offering it to me for $45 only now there's a problem -- his teenage son was mowing with it and somehow got it locked in the slowest speed. The seller says it's probably just a cable adjustment. I suspect it's more than that but I also suspect he will take even less than $45. Does this sound like a good buy keeping in mind that I'm not mechanical, have almost no tools and am 82 years old? I imagine the slowest speed would suit me just fine anyway. I don't have that much to mow with a walk-behind and it's more back and forth than cutting a strip.

·
Lawn Mower Fan
681 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is probably a stupid question, but is that a new mower? Or do they find them and recondition them? Or is the webpage just really, REALLY old?
I phoned them about three months ago on a 2-cycle LB and they told me these older mowers are NOS and never had gas in them. They said they are a factory authorized dealer for LB, Toro and Snapper and that these NOS mowers will come with the factory warranty. I'd like to have that in writing since some of these are 20 years old.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
I phoned them about three months ago on a 2-cycle LB and they told me these older mowers are NOS and never had gas in them. They said they are a factory authorized dealer for LB, Toro and Snapper and that these NOS mowers will come with the factory warranty. I'd like to have that in writing since some of these are 20 years old.
I saw that one also on CL right;) If you call them again and if you don't mind see if they have any Gold series Duraforce with either the 3-speed or the easy stride or just the variable with the bar.

Not sure if this will help you out, but I do have a 3-speed transmission from a 10515 LB that you can have. Not sure if it will fit that toro or not, but maybe you can at least use parts of it. Anyway let me know.

·
5K Poster!!!
5,141 Posts
I saw that one also on CL right;) If you call them next time see if they have any Gold series Duraforce with either the 3-speed or the easy stride or just the variable with the bar. Not sure if this will help you out, but I do have a 3-speed transmission from a 10515 LB that you can have. Not sure if it will fit that toro or not, but maybe you can at least use parts of it. Anyway let me know.
That tranny won't fit the Toro. Whole different tranny.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts