My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks I just had to remove an old pump hours shed to rebuild, the wood gets burned , but asphalt shingles, no way would I burn them!
As I was collecting up the old shingles. I got to thinking what could these be used for ?
The thought crossed my mind these old asphalt shingles could be used for a road or pathway.
Before I try it, I'm wondering if anybody else has tried this or has other ideas for recycling these old shingles?

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Retired MTF Admin
26,564 Posts
Folks I just had to remove an old pump hours shed to rebuild, the wood gets burned , but asphalt shingles, no way would I burn them!
As I was collecting up the old shingles. I got to thinking what could these be used for ?
The thought crossed my mind these old asphalt shingles could be used for a road or pathway.
Before I try it, I'm wondering if anybody else has tried this or has other ideas for recycling these old shingles?

Sent from the MTF Free App
I use them for weed block in flower gardens (covered with mulch or bark)...:fing32:

·
15,000 +posts!
20,699 Posts
I read in a pole barn building book they suggested using asphalt shingles under poles or fence posts,they will get forced into the end grain of the wood under a load and impregnate the wood with the asphalt and prevent rot...

Other than that,I cant think of much else to use them for,unless some are good enough to use on a shed maybe...a friend who is a home improvement contractor says most of the cost of doing a roofing job is disposing of the old roofing "legally"...dumpster charges and them being labeled as potentially hazardous waste really cuts into his profits..its not "right" to bury them,but many here do!..

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I use old carpet and shingles as weed barriers. The shingles work better. I recently came home to find my son visited and was working in the yard. He proudly said, "Hi Dad, I picked up all those old shingles and took them to the dump for ya." AAAARRRRGH!

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
I chipped up some asphalt shingles with the leaf shredder. Makes a 'fine' shovelable dirt that I used everywhere, especially filling in pesky holes. Yup, the chipper blades did get a beating, but they have 3 sides to work with and the drum needed cleaning. Had to wear ear protection as well as eye protection.
Don't do it in dry grass or during forest fire season.

I too have heard about pole ends. I've seen them between decking boards and cross members, similiar to putting tar paper between to limit water into the cross members.

Those nails (or staples) you forgot to remove when placing the shingles in the pathway will leave a lasting impression.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts