My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
briggs used a rectifier for it's 120v ac starter on snowblower and it has a testing procedure using an ohmmeter. I can't seem to locate it right now but if I recall it basically shows which pairs of terminals allow current to pass and which don't.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
A rectifier is a Diode set that takes the AC signal in and put's out "Lumpy DC" or if its a Full wave with some other stuff in there, it puts out a pretty good looking DC signal.

So put your meter on Ohm's scale.
From the input to the output the Meter should show a large rise. Reverse the meter leads and there should be NO needle rise, or very little if at all.

It does get complex depending on how many leads you have. A photo or a part number would help.

·
Banned
2 Posts
A rectifier is a Diode set that takes the AC signal in and put's out "Lumpy DC" or if its a Full wave with some other stuff in there, it puts out a pretty good looking DC signal.

From the input to the output the Meter should show a large rise. Reverse the meter leads and there should be NO needle rise, or very little if at all.

It does get complex depending on how many leads you have. A photo or a part number would help.

lol i thought so but could not remember ..I had seen it done but never had to do it myself ..Great info :trink39:

·
Just Have a Little Faith!
9,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks! I have Wheel Horse reqtifiers. They have three leads.

·
the "AWOL member"
4,954 Posts
Are they K series Kohler's? If so I can dig out my service manual or if you've downloaded their free manual online it should be in there I believe.

·
Senior Tinkerer
1,577 Posts
Thanks! I have Wheel Horse reqtifiers. They have three leads.
Most likely what you are talking about is a "regulator"...these are more than a simple "rectifier".
While there may be ways to make some checks with a simple VOM meter, I doubt you would be able to completely test them that way.
But, it would be great to know how to at least make those simple tests...they might tell you if a regulator was bad even if such a simple test could not tell you for sure if it was good!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts