My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi since november we have had only a small area in front of the house where the dogs have been going to the bathroom...

The grass is brown and dead.. and i was wondering whats the best way to get it going and healthy again..

id always heard of folks putting sugar down on brown spots.. - its still early in the spring up in maine - but the front area off of my front steps is one giant brown spot...

its too early to put fertilizer down (still snow on most of the rest of the lawn)

but do you think it would help to put some lyme down now.. just to neutralize the acidic soil? im guessing acidic from all the dog pee and crap...

or do i just wait till it warms up - a few more weeks and just fertilize as normal??

·
Anything With Wheels
9,834 Posts
I'm sure most of your dogs urine has been neutralized by the snow. The brown your seeing is the grass in its dormants stage. If the ground has been exposed for long it's probably frozen and the urine did not leech down. It will probably lose its volatility before the snow melts. I wouldn't do anything until spring. Lime never hurts.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Have some areas of dog mess, but if you want to deal with a huge mess, try horses after the thaw.

I still have tons of horse poop on top of the snow. As things melt, it turns into a real muddy mess.

·
Retired MTF Founder & Administrator
15,755 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Greg said:
Where's that kid...uh...itsgottobegreen, when ya need him..... ROF ROF

Uncle Greg
the nerve.. he's probably out cutting lawns instead of chatting on here..

BTW: the lawn parts are not just brown dead from winter.. they seem to be brown dead from being crapped on all winter... ill wait and see if the warmer weather greens them up.,.i just thought something to neutralize all the puppy do would help..

·
A day ahead of y'all..
4,597 Posts
IGTBG is probably making a living, right now.......ROF ROF

Poop can be picked up. Brown/dead spots come from the pee... "Flush" after every tinkle, with a water hose, to dilute it. Might check with your nursery for urine resistant grass...really, I've read somewhere they have such a thing. Try overseeding with that and see if it makes a difference. Watering is critical, though.

Uncle Greg

·
I'd rather be threshing!
3,997 Posts
I have the same problem every year after the snow melts. I am told the problem is worse with female dogs.

As spring wears on, usually grass starts to grow in them again, though it is usually crab grass.

If anyone has ever found a way to minimize the damage, or repair it... please let us know!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts