My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This afternoon I left the ignition on, on my ATV in the woods when I got called away for a couple hours. Of course when I got back, the battery was dead, my jumper cables were in my wife's car many miles from me, and I didn't own another vehicle that was currently equiped to take into the woods anyway. I sure could have used one of these Portable Battery Jumper packs, like this one from Stanley: stanley12volt

So, that was just the one with the best reviews on Amazon. Maybe not such a great credential. Anyone have one they like, that has been reliable, that has held a charge for months, that starts a car or truck or tractor or ATV?

Most now also have a small compressor for filling a flat tire, an LED spot light to help when being used at night, and an USB port for charging a phone or laptop.

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
190 Posts
hi jere,, i got a cheap harbor freight one, i think it was in the 45 bux range.. i try to charge it up once a month,, have jumped mowers,tractors and trucks with it..been having it for about 3 years..good luck on your search. c falcon

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I inherited an older Snap-On one a friend had for years,the battery was replaced in 2012 with an interstate one--it still works OK,despite him leaving it uncharged a long time,he had bought a newer one long ago and this one was "forgotten" in the back of the shop...it has 900 amp capacity..

I also had a Home Depot special that had a 110V inverter (400 watts) built in,and an air compressor...another freebie that was found in a car about to be scrapped..
It only worked a few times,the battery wouldn't hold a charge,or run the compressor more than a minute or two...

I took it apart to see what kind of battery it had (what a nightmare to get apart!)--the replacement battery would have cost around 75 bucks--not much less than a whole new unit...the compressor was a joke,it was just a open cylinder with a piston,and could hardly pump up a tractor front tire..also,the 110V inverter was "dead",turned out it had a blade style fuse soldered directly to the printed circuit board...I soldered across the two blades and it now works again,and quite well..
I decided to scrap the rest of it,and keep the inverter,to put in another case and use in my truck..

I have friends who have bought jump packs made by Ac-Delco or "Motor Trend" at a discount store locally--they do work ok,but do not have much power,about 300-400 amps ,only enough to crank over smaller car engines for any length of time..

I would opt for one with 800 or more amps because they have longer reserve capacity...and are worth the extra money..

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I guess it is like getting a roof fixed. It's not raining now, so I don't need it now. I'll do some shopping and try to catch one that looks sturdy, has at least 800 cranking amps.

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
I will add the Snap-On one I have,weighs as much as a regular group 24 car battery,which I also have one of hanging around--so when I need to jump start a tractor far from the garage,it is a toss up as to which one I'll lug out to the dead machine to use and try getting it to start!..

The less the jump pack weighs,the less amps and reserve capacity it'll have..
If your machine starts with a blip of the key,that may not be an issue..my old tractors with starter/generators are lucky to crank over fast enough with a car battery,so I need a high amp jump pack..

Another thing I've used often,is an old pressure washer I got free that has a 6.5 HP Briggs vertical on it--the pump was cracked from being stored outside and no one drained it,so I decided to ditch the pump,and put a GM alternator off a 70's vintage vehicle on it instead--I can wheel that cart out easier than lugging a battery or jump pack,and simply hook up the cables from it to the dead battery,and let it run as long as it needs too,to get the tractor to start...

I have used it to boost the batteries in my diesel pickup when it was frigid and it drained the batteries--when I go plowing I often leave it in the truck with me too..just in case..I could even swap the alternator off it onto the truck if the truck one died,it is the same thing..

·
Super Moderator
13,487 Posts
Jere a couple years ago we bought my father in law a Schumacher charger/jump pack. I cannot remember the exact model but it was similar to the one below. He really seems to like it. He uses it one his Allis WD and WD45 tractors in the Spring. I will see if I can't find where we bought it and what model it was.... I think we got it on Amazon...

XP2260 - Schumacher Electric

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the extra points of consideration. What with Father's Day just a mere 10 days away, I think my garage will have one soon.

·
Premium Member
1,034 Posts
Hey Jere, my wife got me a Stanley Fat Max 1400 jumper for Christmas. This thing is a beast. It's the only one I've ever had so I have nothing to compare it to, but I've been very happy with it. It has an inverter with 2 outlets for 110v ac and an air compressor. Unlike most "portable" 12v compressors I've used, this thing lets you set the tire pressure you want to get to, you clip it onto the valve stem and it will shut off by itself when it reaches that pressure - very cool. It has a little work light on it too - I haven't needed that yet and I'm not too sure how effective that will be but I guess it's better than nothing.
I will say that this thing works great for jump starting. For the past two weeks, up until yesterday, I have been dealing with battery/alternator issues on my 1998 F-150. Every time I went to use the truck I had to jump it. If I charged it overnight, it would start in the morning but by mid-day it was too low to start without the booster. It ended up being a shorted alternator (after replacing the voltage regulator, battery, and then finally the alternator) so I put this booster to the test. I'll bet in the past 2 weeks it has boosted my truck every bit of 30 times. And I only recharged it once in those two weeks.
We've taken this thing camping and my girls use it in their tent for keeping their cell phones charged - lol. Like I said, I don't have anything to compare this one too because this is my first booster.

Sorry, my post reads like a paid advertisement for them or something - lol. I'm just telling you what my experience has been with mine. I know this one is pretty expensive but like I said, mine was a gift so I didn't have to pay for mine (technically speaking). I'm very satisfied with this thing and all my friends and family know it -lol. And now all of you do too. Good luck with your booster quest Jere and let us know what you end up getting and how it works for you.

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks TJ, you describe exactly what I want one to do for me. In priority order:

Jump start a drained battery in car, truck, tractor, ATV in a quick and easy way
Fill a tire that went flat at the wrong time and wrong place, like a trailer, tractor, bike or ATV somewhere away from my garage where I have a compressor
Light up a small work area if I need any of the above in the dark
Charge a phone in case of an electrical interruption and before I pull the generator out
I don't know how/when I might use a small inverter, but it makes sense to me to have one available - maybe a quick cup of coffee while sitting out a thunderstorm in the dark.

I appreciate your quick review and will look at the Stanley. Like you, I often share my opinion on some tool or product or attachment that has worked particularly well for me even though I have not run exhaustive tests on all the options, or even a fair number of them. This was exactly the kind of experience I was hoping to pick up here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I can only speak for the ones we have where I work. I don't have any experience at all with any other. We have a JNC right now. I can't remember the model right off, it seems like the JNC's are numbered by the CCA. The one we have has never let us down, as long as the last guy that used it plugs it back in. We did have a 1224, too. That one also worked every time, until it got run over by a loader. I don't know you would need the 24 volt, but long story short, they've always worked good for us, in fairly heavy use. They mostly get used on 1 ton pickups, and 6 wheel dump trucks

·
Premium Member
7,815 Posts
ive had several different brand over the years and here are a few tips and pointers i have learnt me/:

the on board compressors suck, dont fall for that one
usually the inverters wont power diddly
and keep them in the house...they dont like temp swings

the one brand i have had that was the most reliable so far to date has been the ones Autozone sells. i got the V8 model and it has not let me down yet. it had a battery, a USB port, and a light (not a bad one either) i think it was around $75 to test its power one night i cranked my old truck (454 and NO battery present) and it spun it fine.

i actually use the thing as a power supply in my tornado shelter to power some 12V fans and lights.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Jere,

I have been kicking around a smaller jump pack myself. I have a charger and a couple maintainers and one of the maintainers is a NOCO which I really like.

I was planning to research this week myself a little more to see how things stand up on some web reading between brands of jump packs. Here is a link to the NOCO packs.

Dave

https://no.co/products/power/jumpstarters

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks again to all who contributed there experiences and recommendations.
With your assist I found the Stanley Professional Power Pack on Amazon. It wasn't cheap, but I had a fat pot of Discover cash-back dollars so I ordered it.

Amazon didn't actually fulfill, rather they processed the order for another distributor. My cash-back dollars were debited, and my order was scheduled for shipment. When it came, it was in fact not the Stanley I ordered but a Black & Decker unit. Hmmm.

I contacted the fulfillment company and they apologized, told me they never had any Stanley units, didn't know why Amazon listed them as a supplier, but more importantly offered to reimburse me for return, or refund me the considerable difference in listed price for the B&D unit.

I did some research and discovered that both units carried the identical model number. More curiously, they looked identical except for the color of the plastic case and the name. Then I checked reviews for both units and found that several reviews for one actually carried pictures of the other. The plot thickens. Then I down loaded the User Manual for each and found them word-for-word identical after the cover page. Hmmm and double Hmmm.

I am guessing they are both made in the same factory in China using different color plastics. I chose to keep the unit and get the $60 difference.
Then when I finally sat down to register for warranty on line I was directed to a website that probably provided the answer: Baccus Global

The parent company for power systems for Stanley, Black & Decker, and CAT.

I still can't confirm they are identical on the inside, but they are on the outside. But, I've got the Black and Red one instead of the Yellow one.

Instructions (for both) recommend a 40 hour charge the first time. Hope to have this for a Father-Son adventure I'm taking this Father's Day weekend.

Attachments

·
16,824 Posts
It seems to be the way of the world now-Jere.....

You order something--and cross your fingers that is what will arrive....All about global companies, as you found out, offering different models of the same product.....and no one will contact you and tell you what is going on-

Wish you luck w/ your purchase.
glenn

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Glenn,

I guess time will tell. I'll have to wait till an emergency start opportunity to find out if it really works. Or, I guess I could leave my headlights on over night and test it then.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts