My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and I are going to re-assemble three Sears mowing decks this coming weekend. All of them were sandblasted and I had someone coat with an epoxy primer. They look great. I'd like to coat them with a quality paint, durable paint.

I've used shaker can Rustoleum on mowing decks before and it just doesn't last. I'd like the attachments to have something tougher on them. When I get some cash together, I was thinking of grabbing a few books, and a cup gun for my compressor, but for the time being, I'd like to use spray cans and or roll on coatings.

Anyone have any recommendations? Something tough. Nearest tractor supply is about 45 minutes from me, but I've got NAPA and other stores around me that are closer.

Thanks in advance:trink40:

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
My brother and I are going to re-assemble three Sears mowing decks this coming weekend. All of them were sandblasted and I had someone coat with an epoxy primer. They look great. I'd like to coat them with a quality paint, durable paint.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks in advance:trink40:
Since you're going to use your compressor and a spray gun eventually, I would forgo the rattle can process completely. It's one less step in sanding a preparing the deck which could be problematic removing the spray can enamel.

And if you can apply smooth, steady passes with a rattle can, you can most certainly do as well, or better using an expensive HVLP gun!

Sherwin Williams Acrylic enamel sold as NAPA Martin Senour

Remember to use the activator and a organic vapor RESPIRATOR
:ditto: Great Suggestion Mike!

A very good and inexpensive acrylic enamel that will last years once applied correctly.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys! I think I'm going to poke through the sticky threads on painting or at least pick a good book up for the basics, mixing etc.. Does anyone have any suggestions for someone new to it?

·
Retired MTF Admin
11,156 Posts
I think reading up on those Sticky Threads is a good way to get familiar with the process. I tried to write it up and simplify the procedures using down to earth terms....and make it as understandable for the typical 'Joe'.

We are fortunate to have several members that paint their own rigs and, IMO, each has something to contribute. Any questions you have will surely be answered by one of us. :trink39:

Good luck and I look forward to your progress and new endeavor.

Mark

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think reading up on those Sticky Threads is a good way to get familiar with the process. I tried to write it up and simplify the procedures using down to earth terms....and make it as understandable for the typical 'Joe'.

We are fortunate to have several members that paint their own rigs and, IMO, each has something to contribute. Any questions you have will surely be answered by one of us. :trink39:

Good luck and I look forward to your progress and new endeavor.

Mark
Thank you Mark! I've been reading quite a bit of what you posted. Lot of great information in there! I'll definitely keep you guys updated for when I decided to start making purchases and have a go at it :trink40:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts