My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I originally looked at this 1650 back at the beginning of the year, but passed on it because I found a few others I wanted first. I then saw it on Craigslist a few months ago, but the ad was pulled after 2 days. Then I ran across it again on Craigslist a few days ago. This time I had to go get it. They first wanted $400.00 at the beginning of the year, then $250.00 Now it was listed for $150.00 obo. Look close at the pictures & you will see why I had always wanted it. It has a cat o hitch. The po said they have owned it since the early '80's. They had a dealer install the lift & the arm rests on the seat. They said the mower deck gave out early, so they mainly used it to garden. They have a few attachments that I might go get later. It hasnt run in about 4 years, but amazingly all the controls move freely. It needs a carb kit. If I have as good as luck as I have had recently, I should get it running in a few days. They wanted $150.00 obo, I got it for $125.00!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
I think it will clean up real nice and for 125 you got yourself a sweet project...keep us posted.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after a few hours of tweaking, it is up & running. These old K-series Kohlers amaze me. It seems if it will turn by hand & not make any noise, you can get them running with not much trouble. The first thing I always do is pull the spark plug & pour in some Marvel Mystery oil. Let it sit awhile & turn it over by hand quite a few times. I had to switch out the coil & carb. I'm used to finding these old things with the wiring harness all chewed up & having to use a seperate battery with jumpers to get them to fire off. This one has an intact harness, even the light switch still works, as do the lights.I need to install a missing pin so the cat o works properly. The hyd. lift works correctly, dirrectional controls work great, with no creep. I think for $125.00, this will be a really good tractor.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Marvel Mystery oil...you're killing me. That was one of the few things I ever called BS on my Dad. Why **** power steering fluid would have done the same thing...

...but yup you're right about those old Kohlers.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have used Marvel Mystery oil on engines that have been stuck for twenty years and has worked more times then not!:thThumbsU Great stuff!:fing32::fing32::fing32:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts