My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

Found this forum while looking for TS information for a 1996 Murray Tractor Model No. 46901X92B lawn tractor I purchased off CL. I saw the ad while looking for a bagger for my Huskee (Murray 40") lawn tractor and was listed for 100.00 with "won't start - a good buy for someone mechanically inclined." From the ads pictures it looked to be in good shape; in person looked much better. It was extremely clean, components lubed, and in overall mint condition. The PO demonstrated the start problem which seemed nothing more than a bendix issue so I bought it without haggling or hesitation. Pictures attached.

After getting it home, I found the no start issue was due to a worn Nylon Bendix screw gear with a burr preventing the drive gear from engaging the flywheel. During its first and second use, I ended up having the engine quits when hot syndrome. I think it is now resolved it - thanks to the info posted on this site by all.

The next item on the list is ensuring the transaxle is properly serviced. I have the automatic - Hydrostatic Transaxle (Spicer 4900-3, 11-30-95B, 2644). It seems the tractor's forward speed lugs a bit when going up slight upgrades while mowing while the engine RPM/power is constant. It seems to be a little peppier without the mower engaged and when cold - first started. Not having owned a tractor with the automatic drive, I have nothing to compare it to or know if it is a real issue. On flat surfaces the speed is fine.

The drive belt tension is good and cI leaned all debris from the case and underside while I was at it. I noticed a reservoir mounted on top of the transaxle and it is empty. I've spent quite a bit of time on the web looking for info on this unit and find what is avalable to be scarce. The info I could find is contradictory regarding servicing, purpose of reservoir, etc. and could not find any "official" Spicer servicing information.

Some sites/blogs state it is a "closed system" and you can not perform any maint. on it, while others have it's serviced with 30W oil, 20-50W Oil, Auto Tranny fluid, 75-90 Wt Gear Oil, Hydraulic Oil, and Betonite Grease. Somewhere along the line I read the only purpose/function of the transaxle reservoir is for thermal fluid expansion.

Ensuring the transaxle is properly serviced is the most obvious task to resolve my hill speed issue, but do not want to add the wrong fluid or know if it can be serviced. Order a repair manual from Amazon which is suppose to cover transaxles 2 weeks ago, but still waiting....

Can someone set me straight on the correct way to service this Spicer transaxle or verify it is non serviceable? Any and all iformation including tips on their care and feeding are greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Tim in MA

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
My 2000 Murray has a K46 transaxle, also with a res. bottle on top. I know fluid is visible in the bottle, and if I remember correctly there is a "full line" scribed on it. My res. does have a cap on it but I've never messed with it. If your set up is like mine, it's probably easy to get at by removing the battery. Unfortunantely that's all the info I can offer. Can't beat that for $100.00. People over look Murrays, but it's all the better for guys that know the scoop. I wouldn't be surprised if another decade of service comes out of that tractor. Welcome to MTF, someone else will be along with more help.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses. I was able to locate and download an explded view and PN listing which will come in handy.

Had no luck finding the fluid Spicer specifies for the 4300. They have a good web site, but think you need to be a registered dealer to access their power equipment tech info. I plan to give them a call to find out the recommended fluid to use and if any tech data is available for us lowly consumer/owners. I'll post the results afterwards.

Tim in MA

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Thanks for the update Tim, glad you are getting somewhere.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts