My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen a couple of people ask what it costs to rebuild a Kohler K series twin. So I though I would report on my experience rebuilding the K532 in my HT20.

A little background:
My grandfather bought this HT20 new. It has been mowing lawn every year since then. Grandpa used it, when he passed, mom enherited it and mowed every year, now I enherited it because the HT20 was getting tired and mom wanted a new zero turn mower. I fixed the little things and mowed 2.5 acres with it last year. It didn't burn much oil, still maintained 35psi of oil pressure, but started hard when hot and didn't like to start when below 30F. I finnaly decided to rebuild it when the starter died. No hour meter, so I can only guess the engine had something more than 1,500hrs on it??

Anyway, disassembly was fairly easy.
Needed a 1.5" socket for the flywheel nut and a 3 jaw puller for the PTO pulley.

I spent $443 in machine work at the local engine shop
- cleaned block & crank
- polished crank
- bored cylinders .010" over
- planed both heads (found one head really warped)
- cut new valve seats
- ground the intake valves
- reconditioned one connecting rod

Spent another ~$400 in parts (used all OEM Kohler stuff)
- gasket set
- pistons & rings
- exhaust valves
- Flywheel side plain bearing for crank
- points, condesor & carb rebuild kit
Bought parts online from Pat's small engine = good prices

It made a new machine out of her, it starts and runs awesome now.

I was also pretty impressed with the Kohler K series twin, it is a really well built engine. May not be very fuel efficient, but produces good power and durable.

Anyway, here are a few pics

BTW. the 1250 in the third pic has an 18hp briggs. The PO installed it (hack job, cut the frame) and put the FMC decals on her.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Nice information Kevin, thanks.

·
Deceased October 2017
21,767 Posts
Great story and info Kevin :thanku:

They sure do burn some fuel like you said .. but when running well .. they sure cant be beat IMO :fing32:

·
Registered
327 Posts
My dad rebuilt his HT20 last year. The tractor ran great. Earlier this year he was to mow the lawn and the tractor would not start. He torn the engine down and the crank had split in two. Looking at the crank you can actually see the flaw where it broke. Well he decided to buy a 23hp kohler to replace the 20hp kohler. I had to take it to a local machine shop for him. Looking forward to seeing his ht20/23 back together. My brother and I just had his seat redone.

Other point is my brother picked up a 1250 for parts. If you are thinking about redoing your 1250, I am sure he has some parts for you(frame rails).

That is a great looking ht20.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for the good comments

velle01,
Sorry to hear about your father's engine. I really hope mine stays together because I really enjoy using it. Mowed for 1.5 hours last night.

Actually I've alreay found a different set of frame rails for the 1250, but we'll see what else I find this winter when I pull it apart, I'm sure I'll find a few more issues.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts