My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
In the Ozone
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just assembled my K301 engine and fired it up.
The thing that baffles me is, the darned thing smokes! :Disgus:
I had the cylinder mic'd with the machinist stating it only needed a hone of which he did.
He also installed new valve guides with new valves. I took care ensuring the ring end gap was within specs in 3 positions of the bore. I also staggered the rings so the gap wasn't in the same area as the ring above/below it.
I've never had an engine smoke after rebuild so this kinda' makes me question whether I did something wrong.

Thoughts??

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
You can get smoke. Run it for a while.

·
Super Moderator
31,815 Posts
You will get a little smoke as it brakes in. How many hours have you run it so far?? Maybe check to make sure the breather is put together correctly. In my experance thats one of the major reasons these old K's smoke. Also what oil are you running?

·
In the Ozone
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will get a little smoke as it brakes in. How many hours have you run it so far?? Maybe check to make sure the breather is put together correctly. In my experance thats one of the major reasons these old K's smoke. Also what oil are you running?
I've only run it about 20 minutes so far.

I am using a 30W that Tractor Supply sells (black jug). After I put a few hours on it I am going to change the oil and will probably use Quaker State 30W.

Hopefully as you and professor said it will cease after break in.

Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
There is also what I hope is the remote possibility that the compression or scraper ring could be installed upside down.

·
In the Ozone
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Maybe check to make sure the breather is put together correctly. In my experance thats one of the major reasons these old K's smoke.
I'm going to look into the breather assembly. I may have assembled that incorrectly.

There is also what I hope is the remote possibility that the compression or scraper ring could be installed upside down.
I am pretty sure that I installed the rings correctly...but I have been known to screw up. Geez...that would be a bummer....

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Vortec-Do you remember if the rings were chrome or cast iron? If they are chrome, they will take a while to break in-think back, did you install the scraper ring so it scrapes on a downward stroke? Hope it's just break in smoke-Good Luck!-AL

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
Double D:ditto: s Ont the assembly lube burning off. It's air cooled and cast iron so u will get some smoke.. Take it for a ride and run up the rpms .

·
In the Ozone
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Rebuilt K301 burning oil?? (Yep..sure does!!!)

I am so disappointed and disgusted. I took the breather apart to find that it was installed correctly. I ran it for a bit and still had a lot of smoke.

I pulled the head off and...my gawd...it looked like someone poured a teaspoon of oil on the top of the piston! :eek:mg:

I screwed up royally!!! I either, as was mentioned, installed the scraper ring upside down or who knows what???!!!:fing20:

So, I guess the next step is to pull it apart and fix the issue. I sure feel like a bonehead. :00000060:

Thanks for all the suggestions gang. But, how does one fix stupid? :banghead3

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Stuff happens. When you take it down, slowly pull the piston out, it sounds like the center "spring" ring in the oil control ring assembly may have overlapped the ends. This is very easily done unfortunately.
Also look the piston over very carefully, it could have been defective from the get-go.
Good luck

·
15,000 +posts!
20,413 Posts
If you honed it to the right specs, and replaced the rings correctly,and the piston fits well,a possibility of the valve stems or giudes being loose enough to have oil sucked past them now exists..when an engine wears out,ALL parts wear,and replacing only some of the worn ones will make the rest let oil pass them by..

I learned that the hard way when I pulled a head off a Chevy 305 to replace ONE burnt exhaust valve,and the head gasket--wanted to fix it cheap.it was only a winter beater plow truck..the new valve and lapping in the rest on the other 3 cylinders while it was off ,increased the compression enough to majke oil blow by the rings much worse,and it smoked so bad you couldn't drive it without getting pulled over and ticketed for excessive smoke and defective equipment..I ended up have to swap a good 350 in it in order to keep it..:(

Now tend to replace engines with good running used ones,rather than "rebuild" one if possible..it costs more to rebuild most of the time,and the end results aren't always satisfactory,even when done be experienced machinists and mechanics sometimes..and today, many brand new engines can be had for about the same price or less than rebuilding one costs..

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
It's hard to find anything new in the K series kohler. I have rebuilt a numbrt of them and I find that old saying to thinkk it thru and have a game plan on what to at the time of the rebuild will get u on the other side of finished.

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's hard to find anything new in the K series kohler. I have rebuilt a numbrt of them and I find that old saying to thinkk it thru and have a game plan on what to at the time of the rebuild will get u on the other side of finished.
OPEENGINES.com has 99% of everything in stock for a K-Seires Kolher rebiuld at reasonable prices.

·
In the Ozone
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
If you honed it to the right specs, and replaced the rings correctly,and the piston fits well,a possibility of the valve stems or giudes being loose enough to have oil sucked past them now exists
I did install new valve guides, so I ruled that out.

I'm still betting on the rings
Stuff happens. When you take it down, slowly pull the piston out, it sounds like the center "spring" ring in the oil control ring assembly may have overlapped the ends.
Good luck

I stopped by the local machine shop and talked with the guys. Randy firmly believes that I did overlap the oil control ring. So, this weekend I am going to pull the piston out and check into that.

We have ALL done stuff like that, and messed things up. Its part of the game.
Yeah Ingersoll444, I tend to beat myself up at times. When I was a youngster, my friend and I would hot rod B&S mini-bike engines and never saw the issue I see now. I've also done a couple of chevy 6 cyl and a small block chevy engine with no issues. I think may have been a case of hurry up and get er done.

In any event, thanks for the suggestions guys as well as the encouragement!
I'll let ya know what I find.

Brian

·
Super Moderator
31,815 Posts
Hey well.... When I redid the engine in my truck, I could not get it to fire.. Well I put the dist in 180 out!! I mean, I have stabbed hundreds of Dizzys in my day, and I have not messed that up sence school!!!!!! Some times you have a brain fart....

1 - 20 of 22 Posts