My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding the carb on my Homelite (Simplicity) CT-10, and I noticed that when I removed the carb from the motor, there was a piece of carboard/whatever type stuff cut to bolt behind the carb and extend over and cover some aluminum cooling fins on the motor behind the carb. I imagine the piece is to block heat from the exhaust, that mounts below where the carb mounts, from hitting those cooling fins.

IS THIS PIECE IMPORTANT? Cause while removing it, it ripped, and the bottom ear of it is no longer attached where it would block the heat.

Can I make a new one out of something, or will leaving it off be ok? (Or I guess I can put all but the ripped off piece back on).

What should I do?

Any other tricks of the trade for rebuilding the carb....?

This is my first rebuild....so I'm pretty excited.

Clark (SupermanWV)

·
Registered
101 Posts
welcome to the group -- that cardboard piece most likely also acts as a gasket for the carb -- try using a light coating of clear silicone RTV as a sealer/repair "glue" -- I did this just the other day on a generac generator and it worked well --

RTV can be had at any auto parts store -- I like the clear

Kevin

·
Premium Member
5,747 Posts
It is the gasket as was mentioned and is also part of the cooling system. It should be replaced with the proper part.

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
DITTO what RS CURTIS said! :thThumbsU

·
Registered
5,188 Posts
If it is shielding exhaust heat, don't use any old cardboard to fashion into a replacement gasket. Flames could follow.. or at least stinky smoke. It may likely be a heat-resistant material that has some 'asbestos replacement' stuff embedded in the gasket material.
I'd be looking for a factory replacement, or at least some heat-resistant gasket material.
tom

1 - 5 of 5 Posts