My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've done some searching, and mostly see information on reattaching seats to metal seat pans or repairing tears in the (vinyl?) covers, but the situation I've got is with the seat for my GX345, which is a plastic seat pan, and it appears that the pad (with integral vinyl cover) was held on by some sort of glue around the edges, where the cover was tucked into a little channel in the plastic seat pan. My seat pad came loose the other day, and I'd like to try reattaching the original seat pad (since it is in good condition).

Any suggestions on cleaning the old glue off the plastic seat pan? I've managed to chip a lot of it off, and will sand as much as I can, but I wasn't sure if I should use mineral spirits or something like that to try to remove the old glue.

Even more important, suggestions on what type of glue to use to reattach?

Suggestions on a knock-off replacement seat if this is a complete failure?

·
Premium Member
7,139 Posts
I used 3m super weather strip adhesive on my dads 4300, took me two tubes that’s been three years ago, still holding

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
@burned300 beat me to it. 3M Super weatherstrip adhesive will be your best bet. Make sure you get the black and go slow applying. This stuff is like snot and gets everywhere like anti-sieze, but once in place you will not have to worry about it again.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I bought a GX335 and GX225 off Craigslist. Both had yellow pad half off. I use tube of clear silicone. I pulled up on the loose part and laid a big big bead on the top of old hot glue. (I saw episode of How its made and they were doing exact same seat. He lay a bead of hot glue then pressed yellow part with his hands. Then sit it on the rack.) The yellow part never touched the glue in some parts. You don't have to glue yellow part just foam behind yellow.

I placed heavy towel on seat than piece of 1 x6 " board wrapped with bungee cord. to hold over night with one around back.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Any suggestions on cleaning the old glue off the plastic seat pan? I've managed to chip a lot of it off, and will sand as much as I can, but I wasn't sure if I should use mineral spirits or something like that to try to remove the old glue.
Try heat gun to soften glue for removal.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I've had some success heating the seat to make it pliable and just using gorilla glue after scraping out the old glue

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All this effort, I’d just buy a new seat :sneaky:
If I could find a new seat for a decent price, I probably would; but paying $200+ to replace the seat when both the cushion and pan are in good condition seems excessive.
I've seen a variety of cheap seats for sale, but they seem to be some sort of universal fit where you have to screw some brackets to the bottom; I'm concerned they are going to turn out to be thin, flimsy brackets.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Forget the glue. I repaired the seat on an earlier model of John Deere and there was a plastic (vinyl) strip that was used to reattach the yellow seat cover to the frame, no glue.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Forget the glue. I repaired the seat on an earlier model of John Deere and there was a plastic (vinyl) strip that was used to reattach the yellow seat cover to the frame, no glue.
I'm assuming this must be a different design of seat than what my GX345 has; without glue the seat cushion/cover wouldn't stay on the seat pan.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Agrisupply has a nice aftermarket seat (looked like the split top and bottom seat on an x300 series). $99. I have one near me. If you don't, I think shipping is $20 or so

·
Registered
2013 Camaro 1LE
640 Posts
If I could find a new seat for a decent price, I probably would; but paying $200+ to replace the seat when both the cushion and pan are in good condition seems excessive.
I've seen a variety of cheap seats for sale, but they seem to be some sort of universal fit where you have to screw some brackets to the bottom; I'm concerned they are going to turn out to be thin, flimsy brackets.
Or pay the $200 and be done with it. You can then sell your separated seat for $50 to some other retiree who likes to mess with this kinda stuff. Between the time and materials patching it together, it’s just not worth it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm assuming this must be a different design of seat than what my GX345 has; without glue the seat cushion/cover wouldn't stay on the seat pan.
You are right. I had to go out and look at my GX345 and my 322, the GX345 definitely has an upgraded seat and the 322 has the older version although I can't recommend a glue. Best recommendation for seat care is not to let them sit out in the sun.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
I bought 2 seats at Tractor Supply for $100... 1 for my 317, 1 for my 322. They also have an "expensive version with armrests for $130 or $170! Probably 50+ holes in the bottom to mount any tractor. Unbolt old seat, bolt on new seat, and done. Bob

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I bought 2 seats at Tractor Supply for $100... 1 for my 317, 1 for my 322. They also have an "expensive version with armrests for $130 or $170! Probably 50+ holes in the bottom to mount any tractor. Unbolt old seat, bolt on new seat, and done. Bob
Something like that is what I'll have to do if this glue-up job doesn't hold. The seat on my GX345 doesn't have brackets like some of the ones I've seen at Tractor Supply or the similar local stores; the bottom of the molded plastic seat has holes in it for a big pivot pin that goes through; I found a picture of an at least similar setup:

·
Registered
800 Posts
Do you have a link to the seat you bought? Whenever I've looked at tractor supply, their seats were very expensive. I stopped even looking there because they were the same price or higher than OEM with that cutesy little Deere logo on it.

Side note: I wonder if I'm the first person to use the manly term "Cutesy" on a tractor forum. Someone should look that up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts