My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have an acre+ of St. Augustine/floratam grass to mow and mulch (not bag or side discharge). The most important thing is.. the cut. The yard is impeccable (hey, don't look at me, we just bought the place), basically flat with a couple of what I would call rises rather than inclines, about 12-15 trees but each has a 6' or so circle of dirt/mulch area around the trunk. I will pull a small garden cart, aerator and spreader on occassion. No gates to worry about, will store inside a shed w/about 68" opening. Budget is about $4000 and want new not used. orry, my WIFE wants new not used. I love older stuff for all the well stated reasons in these forums. With a little over an acre can't see less than a 42" or bigger than a 50" maybe? I had my mind made up on a Simplicity Broadmoor w/44" deck. Most everyone seems to agree that nothing cuts like a Simplicity. However, I'm having problems dealer wise as the only viable one is a couple of hours away from me and I may not want the hassle of getting a trailer, taking down/picking up, time etc. if something goes wrong. So....starting to at least think about an alternative unit with closer dealer.

What do you guru's see as a "comparable" make/model to the Broadmoor keeping in mind that the cut is the main thing I want? I have spent hours reading the posts in here and am aware of the Deere 300 series and know that Husqvarna has some well reviewed units although their model numbering system doesn't lead a newbie to being able to remember much of anything! Also the corporate turmoil that the companies have gone through doesn't make it any easier either. "They are real bad tractors with the exception of the great units they made from June-Sept right after XYZ bought out ABC but then sold to DEF who had purchased Husky but sold off Simplicity and changed the names of the engines to hide their bad history.....etc. etc. etc." !! VERY confusing! Good example is Craftsman. I have spent most of my adult life laughing at most of the Sears products. Now I see some YT/GT getting rave reviews....

I am aware the Broadmoor doesn't have it all. If I could change it I would at least include hydraulic steering.

So, good close alternative to my Broadmoor choice? Thanks in advance and sorry for newbie rambling!

·
Registered
278 Posts
Have an acre+ of St. Augustine/floratam grass
The most important thing is.. the cut.
The yard is impeccable
Budget is about $4000 and want new not used.
A few thoughts:
1) what equipment did the previous groundskeeper use?
2) where is that equipment now?
3) if gone... who sells it new?
4) what methods and procedures did the previous groundskeeper use?

iow... don't reinvent the wheel if it ain't broken

I had my mind made up on a Simplicity Broadmoor w/44" deck.
However... the only viable one is a couple of hours away from me
and I may not want the hassle...
Well, what other brand choices DO you have reasonably close?
And yeah, the Craftsman & Husky lawn tractors are just fine (and at half your budget).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A few thoughts:
1) what equipment did the previous groundskeeper use?
2) where is that equipment now?
3) if gone... who sells it new?
4) what methods and procedures did the previous groundskeeper use?

Well, what other brand choices DO you have reasonably close?
And yeah, the Craftsman & Husky lawn tractors are just fine (and at half your budget).
We bought the house in January and kept the landscaping service that has been doing it. 3-4 guys show up each week with a couple of ZT's. Not sure which ones but I believe Dixie? The mow, whack, trim, edge and are gone before you know it. That is a great thing of course but at $300 monthly I can buy a bunch of equipment over the next several years. We have always enjoyed doing the lawn in previous homes (did I actually say that?)

As for other brands, I get mixed up. I am open to a Husqvarna but not sure which model as the model numbers get confusing. Open to a John Deere but feel I am paying for the name a bit and there seems to be only one new model that compares and thats the X320. Cub Cadet is not out but again not sure which are good which are bad. Real varying reviews on them. Craftsman is now related to ....gawd, I forget, but am willing to look at them as well although it will take some talking to overcome all that bad history I have grown up with!

Bottom line is that I have never seen anyone argue that the Simplicity cut is great and thats what I am after but don't want to be (too) foolish. Shoot, I'm not even sure if the "striping" even works with St. Augustine as it is such a different type of lawn.

LEt me narrow it down. Which Husqvarna, Cub Cadet and Craftsman model is the most equivalent to the Broadmoor? Deck size can be up to 50". I be there is an argument for one of them that I get more for less $$$.

·
Registered
73 Posts
As far as cut there is only one answer. Simplicity.

If you go to sears you can get a simplicity as a craftsman model, but you'll have to make sure it has the roller deck.

·
Premium Member
8,051 Posts
Simplicity. You'll be thankful you drove to dealer to make a deal. :goodl:
NOTHING cuts like a ground following deck, period. IMO

MU

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,431 Posts
Hate to say it, but sounds like you need the Simplicity if you value the cut above all else.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hate to say it, but sounds like you need the Simplicity if you value the cut above all else.
Well, nothing to hate really! I have always liked Simplicity from the days when I had my old tired rusted AC 712. I like the color, like the "cut", like the rollers, like the product. Just one of those things we all can't really explain beyond... we just LIKE it. However, it IS just a tool to cut the friggin grass! I would most likely be just as happy with a similar Husqvarna although I still don't know which model that would be!

·
Registered
73 Posts
The simplicity will make the lawn look like it has been cut with a set of hair clippers. No other brand will do that...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts