My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started this new one because the other page is such a mess I cant even follow it.
I cut my throttle cable to short (see pic) by about 2 mm and no wire was coming out from the conduit at all and as it turned out the throttle handle operated backwards meaning go forward and it backs-off the fuel and shove it downwards and it gives it more fuel, compared to the other two L's I have anyway, (pic).
So like they say ' I cut it off twice and it was still too short' but I had plenty of cable where I had to cut if off because there was prolly 5 feet of it. I was gonna trade cable but was afraid to try to get it off where it was pressed or whatever on the lever so I removed the inside wire from new throttle cable and pulled it out and put inside wire from the 3' or so feet I had to cut off to begin with and shoved it thru the conduit attached to the new throttle lever, and it worked!
I was worried for awhile and actually mad as heck, I mean one mm or two maybe and I couldnt believe it and because it operates backwards I had no inside wire coming thru at all, but it worked out, dont know how but it did.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
27,459 Posts
You know the old addage, measure twice cut once! Glad you got it to work Gerrard, nothing more frustrating than messing up something simple, I have a flat forehead from doing that all these years!

·
Daryl G
875 Posts
... and as it turned out the throttle handle operated backwards meaning go forward and it backs-off the fuel and shove it downwards and it gives it more fuel, compared to the other two L's I have anyway...
Gerrard,
It is actually reason 876! ;) I had a problem very similar to what you described with the throttle operating backwards. The reasoning, which I think beaner2u explained to me, is that the machine I was having issues with was equipped with a governor originally. The governor arm was broken when I bought the machine so I assumed that I could just install the carburetor throttle cable directly to the carburetor and entirely bypass the governor. Well, that is true, one can bypass the governor and install the throttle cable to the carburetor BUT now the throttle speed is reversed where 'slow is fast' and 'fast is slow'.

I am glad you are actively back on this project!

·
Super Moderator
11,300 Posts
The main thing is that it worked out in the end.(y) Not too long ago I had to reverse the carb. choke plate assy. on the phantom 816 so that the choke lever position would match the "choke", and "off" positions on the dash decal. It had been opposite where "choke" was off, and "off" was choke. The p/o had stuck an embossed lettered "choke" sticker next to the "off", and it was bugging me. I was worried that the cable wouldn't be long enough to reach around the opposite side of the carb., but I was able to pull enough slack so that it did.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,767 Posts
I ran into that a few times--install a new throttle cable,only to find out its "backwards" compared to the original control ..figured I'd have to rig up a bell crank or something,but another guy who looked at it said "all you need is a longer cable,and run it past the point where it hooks up,and put a loop in it so the cable approaches from the "other side",and anchor the conduit somewhere so the wire will move and the housing can't..it worked fine!..

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You know the old addage, measure twice cut once! Glad you got it to work Gerrard, nothing more frustrating than messing up something simple, I have a flat forehead from doing that all these years!
LOL. Thats a good one 318 guy! So does your'e handle have anything to do w/the MOPAR workhorse motor 318?

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran into that a few times--install a new throttle cable,only to find out its "backwards" compared to the original control ..figured I'd have to rig up a bell crank or something,but another guy who looked at it said "all you need is a longer cable,and run it past the point where it hooks up,and put a loop in it so the cable approaches from the "other side",and anchor the conduit somewhere so the wire will move and the housing can't..it worked fine!..
Oh I aint that smart. Just changing the inside wire in the conduit made me feel like a college professor ( couldnt spell genious lol!) still cant apparently

·
Super Moderator
27,459 Posts
LOL. Thats a good one 318 guy! So does your'e handle have anything to do w/the MOPAR workhorse motor 318?
Well no, it has to do that I started on the the forum when I had the JD 318. However, I've owned the venerable 318 engine in a '74 Charger LE, and then again in a '92 Ramcharger. Great engine for sure!

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Gerrard,
It is actually reason 876! ;) I had a problem very similar to what you described with the throttle operating backwards. The reasoning, which I think beaner2u explained to me, is that the machine I was having issues with was equipped with a governor originally. The governor arm was broken when I bought the machine so I assumed that I could just install the carburetor throttle cable directly to the carburetor and entirely bypass the governor. Well, that is true, one can bypass the governor and install the throttle cable to the carburetor BUT now the throttle speed is reversed where 'slow is fast' and 'fast is slow'.

I am glad you are actively back on this project!
Yea Beaner2U is pretty sharp no doubt , aint seen him around for awhile and hope all is well with him.
Yea Fireant it was 75 deg. yesterday and here it is 39 today, weather here is crazy. I spent awhile trying to start my push mower to mow but turned out the plug was broken in half in the middle of insulator, musta had it to tight and the fluctuation in trmp constantly prolly snapped it who knows so that was 2 trips to Auto Zone because when I discovered it I just tossed the top piece somewhere and got in the truck and forgot to take it with me, heck I didnt even remove it so I got the right one and will try it in a few.
But back to the Gravely I must get going soon the throttle was a after mkt. and I had to make oblong a mounting hole to get it to fit but its a good one and am glad it was available. But I assumed the cable should come from the bottom of exelerating (sp?) lever so thats how I mounted it.
Thanks for the reply Buddy, this website is givin me a headache. I think the first reply is at bottom and last reply/er is at top... like my throttle cable lol. Later

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well no, it has to do that I started on the the forum when I had the JD 318. However, I've owned the venerable 318 engine in a '74 Charger LE, and then again in a '92 Ramcharger. Great engine for sure!
When growing up we were big Mopar guys and we loved the 340 in 67,68 & 69 Darts and Baricuda's and when they got hard to find we would punch the 318 out and put the 340 " X" heads on them and a cam and some Cyclone headers and down the road we went eating up Chevys lol!
Now Mopars stay in the shops and Chevy's are on top. Crazy...lol
J.D. Power Co. said RAM was the worst vehicle company in America, and If I had the cheese for a new truck it would have to be a GM for certain but thats all opinion ( exept for J.D. Power)
Later...

·
Super Moderator
27,459 Posts
Ran a Durango to 254K miles with no real issues with the hemi, tranny replaced at 181K now have a 2016 Ram 1500 with the hemi, hoping this one will outlast me. Have a Dodge Nitro and Jeep as well, of all of them the Jeep has required more maintenance. Also had a Dakota that had 178K miles but was too rusted to keep on the road but still ran great. Had a GMC Suburban and it was a maintenance headache and broke down constantly.

·
Premium Member
4,183 Posts
It actually doesn't make any difference to the machine how you mount the throttle control. What matters is if it works for you.

Many of my older L models have a stock position for the throttle control where "down" means "more throttle".

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ran a Durango to 254K miles with no real issues with the hemi, tranny replaced at 181K now have a 2016 Ram 1500 with the hemi, hoping this one will outlast me. Have a Dodge Nitro and Jeep as well, of all of them the Jeep has required more maintenance. Also had a Dakota that had 178K miles but was too rusted to keep on the road but still ran great. Had a GMC Suburban and it was a maintenance headache and broke down constantly.
Everytime I say something like that someone says that lol! But I was the biggest MOPAR fan in the world and still would love to have a 68-69 Dart Swinger w/the bumbl bee stripe across the trunk and a Knotch back Barricuda ( every way I spell it it underlines red ) and if I was to win the lottery I would have both of them made for me, there are places that do that, actually better than new w/new type brakes and suspension and stuff.
Oh and I dont wanna forget the old "real" Power Wagon 78 or 79 or so man they were great.
I dont get why they quit making that cool Dodge Magnum? I'll never understand that but anyway thats what that J.D. Power Co. said about a yr ago, they was giving RAM heck and then some. But who knows? The way I see it is if you turn the key and it runs and gets you/me/whomever where wer'e going how could you not like it and be satisfied with it.
I dont care for Ford but I drive a 2001 Ranger that is all Mazda ! My Dad left it to me when he pased away like 5 yrs. ago and I had a Dakota I put 100k on and sold it because the A.C. wsnt working and a cpl other things and I drive that Ranger 100 miles a day to work floored @ 85 mph ( 4 cyl. automatic) and it runs like a new one. Like I said who knows?

·
Super Moderator
11,300 Posts
My '80 Power Wagon had a 318 engine. I never had a problem with it despite plowing a lot of snow during the 15 years that I owned it. To me, the 318 was the new slant 6, another reliable workhorse engine.

·
Premium Member
2,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My '80 Power Wagon had a 318 engine. I never had a problem with it despite plowing a lot of snow during the 15 years that I owned it. To me, the 318 was the new slant 6, another reliable workhorse engine.
Oh nice! Thats about the ones I was talking about and I would loose a digit to have one now. We were MOPAR guys all my life but the stuff I was saying about RAM is new and it came from J.D. Power and they study all vehicles and make their decisions on how many times a certain brend of vehicle is in the shop and stuff like that.
And that 318 was their work horse like the old slant 6 was as well. I always heard if you had oil in a slant 6 you couldnt blow one up! lol. I think there was 2 diff sizes of them. My buddy had one in a Plymouth Scamp, prolly a 73 or 74 or something and I think it was like a 225 cid. We took it to the mountains, or my old lady followed me in it hauling food and drink while I was up front in the truck.
Well enuf about the cars, dont wanna go to much off the forum as if I havent already.

But back to the Gravely throttle it actually feels pr etty good because your'e thumb rest right on the lever and its just natural feeling so it should be fine.
I had to mow my grass for first time of the season after buying 2 plugs they kept snapping in half in the middle of the ceramic so I had to get a plug-socket. I just used a long 5/8 socket but I took that plug out of that mower many times and it never broke. The one that was in it all winter was apparently broke already because it was in 2 pieces when I removed it.
Then I got a new one and put it in and it didnt start and it was broken also. So I got another one and a plug socket, it worked then and I mowed. It had a magnet and rubber inside of it. A 5/8 plug socket @ Auto Zone for $6.99

1 - 15 of 15 Posts