My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are these wheels supposed to slide off the axle once the C ring and washer are removed? or is there another step that i'm missing? and if this has been addressed in a previous thread my apologies...

·
Administrator
12,530 Posts
It should slide off. Soak it in pennetrating oil and give it some taps with a rubber mallett from the back of the rim. Hopefully it isn't seized up solid. I couldn't get a freinds wheel off this summer and tried everything short of a 10 pound sledge. Still wouldn't move. Ended up changing the tire on th machine. Big PIA. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
5,689 Posts
Ditto on the oil, soak it and walk away. Patience. Do not hit the tire too hard, you will damage the transaxle.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I've seen threads where the owners did everything and in one case actually cut the wheel off with the cutting torch and then hacksawed the axle part off down to the axle before it would come off. That was extreme, but if you use PB blaster, you should see some action. I don't find WD40 to be very effective, but recently, I got a can of Liquid Wrench spray penetrating oil that does seem to cut the rust real well. I guess it is just how well the oil penetrates the tight confines of the axle/wheel surfaces.

Hope you don't have to use heat on it.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as of right now, the tire is holding air with no slow leak...i used a can of aerosol flat fix to get the bead to set (yep i tried lots of other stuff too) and this had the positive side-effect of sealing up some of the age cracks...but i know this is not a perma fix, and at some point i will have to get the tire off to either replace or get it tubed...in the meantime i will try the recommended remedies to get it loose...(NO SLEDGE HAMMERS!)... probably not a bad idea to go after both rears wheels and the front at the same time...never know when you might need to get them off...

i was thinking about adding a sleeve hitch to this tractor, but now i'm not at all sure that it's really a "GT" tractor at all...and if i can't do the sleeve hitch cuz it's not a GT, i don't really need to take the wheel off, as long as i can get it to hold air...as an LT, this tractor will find much use hauling a wagon...firewood, pumpkins, water, hay, etc...and it can still pull a trail mower and do it's share of lawn mowing...

just a dumb question...has anyone ever tried running a belt off the mower deck PTO pulley to power things like generators and water pumps? seems like an 18 hp engine might power a 10k w generator just fine...

·
Registered
579 Posts
i had this problem too,so i fliped the tractor on its side jammed a board umder the wheel and my brother held it in place, i then repeatedly whailed on it with a 10 or 15 pound sledge till it came off, still took like 15 mins.
im not saying thats what you should do, just tellin you that it worked for me
yes the tranny works fine.

·
Registered
474 Posts
I just tried to remove 2 rear wheels from an old MW. I used a gear puller, (inexpensive at Harbor Freight). Right wheel came off with a little force on the puller. Left wheel is still on. I could not get sufficient force on the puller. I tried soaking with penetrating oil, heating with a propane torch, kicking and screaming. No luck. I now have the wheel, axle and transmission removed so I will try hammering when I get ambitious.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts