My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1993 John Deere 425 with all wheel steer that I've used until recently for both cutting grass and blowing snow for several years without major problems. We moved from a 2 acre parcel to a 4.5 acre parcel a few years ago, and I noticed that all of my neighbors were mowing with zero turn mowers. After trying one out, I found that I could cut my mowing time in half.
I purchased a used Gravely 252 Pro Turn that works great for the grass, except......when it rains the mower has a tendency to sink into the lawn a bit. I've been told that the increased weight between it and the 425 John Deere is the culprit, and that putting bar tires on the Gravely should eliminate my problem.
Even though both mowers have 23x10.50-12 rear tires, the rims on tmy John Deere are offset because of the 4 wheel steer option. A current Craigslist posting has standard John Deere tires and rims for sale at a great price, but I don't know whether they will fit on the gravely. Both have the same tire size, and what appears to be the same bolt pattern.
In talking with the guy that has the tires/rims for sale, he said they came off of a John Deere 425 two wheel steer. Does anybody know whether these rims will interchange with my Gravely Zero Turn? I hate to buy them in order to find out.
Thanks in advance, to anyone who can offer guidance.
Old425Guy

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
The difference between the mowers in weight is about 500 pounds. The 23x10.5-12 tyre size will fit virtually any 12 inch L&G rim. Just because the rims are offset does not change the rim diameter, that is a mechanical difference.
Why exactly are you mowing when the lawn is wet?
Surprisingly, one does not have to buy a John Deere tyre for a John Deere tractor. As long as the rim will fit the tyre, the tractor could care less. You would be much better off purchasing a new set of tyres to fit the 12 inch rims on the zero turn. Check out some of the ATV tyres in that size that may provide better flotation & traction for your zero turn. You fit the tyre to the conditions as there is not any one tyre for all conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The difference between the mowers in weight is about 500 pounds. The 23x10.5-12 tyre size will fit virtually any 12 inch L&G rim. Just because the rims are offset does not change the rim diameter, that is a mechanical difference.
Why exactly are you mowing when the lawn is wet?
Surprisingly, one does not have to buy a John Deere tyre for a John Deere tractor. As long as the rim will fit the tyre, the tractor could care less. You would be much better off purchasing a new set of tyres to fit the 12 inch rims on the zero turn. Check out some of the ATV tyres in that size that may provide better flotation & traction for your zero turn. You fit the tyre to the conditions as there is not any one tyre for all conditions.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Flaken,
Thanks for your valuable input. To answer your question regarding mowing wet grass, I live in an area that has a very high water table and very limited fall.
I try to only mow when the grass is dry, but sometimes that becomes impossible. That was why I considered mounting bar tires.
My reasoning regarding the I interchange possibility was to mount bar tires on the used John Deere rims which are available for a reasonable purchase price. That way, I wouldn’t need to dismount the turf tires, I’d just switch them with the freshly mounted bar tires and rims.
Thanks again, your answer regarding the ability to interchange the rims was very helpful.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
No problem, old425guy! Having an extra set of rims is always nice. But really, check out the ATV tyres as they come in many more tread patterns than the standard bar.

High water table??? I live in northern Florida. 2 days ago, I dug a 6 inch deep hole in my lawn for a property line marker. Within 30 minutes there was 2 inches of water in the hole. Today, it is raining yet again. Our "winter" here lasts about 2 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again Flaken,
I’d like to pick your brain one more time, if I can.
I just learned that the AG tires/wheels that I’m planning on purchasing are liquid filled.
In your opinion, would I be better off leaving them filled for increased traction in soggy soil, or do you suggest that I remove the liquid to eliminate the extra weight, change valve stems and refill them with air?
I appreciate your input.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts